Can I 'rent' a dedicated server?

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 am

Exactly what the subject says, Can I 'rent' a dedicated server for Hidden and Dangerous 2? How much?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

KoD
Corporal

Unread post by KoD » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:53 am

Number of options are available; cost is typically $30-$130 a month (US dollars).

- maximum number of players (32 is most expensive)
- private or public server
- dedicated or shared server
- physical location of the server provides best connectivity and on-line experience

Summary of search I did about a year ago...

1. Dedicated server - Windows, Unix, Linux base (you can do whatever you wish with it), these are most expensive ranging from $60 up to $120.00 a month or even more (not a very good choice), it can be potentially used for game hosting.

2. Game servers - configured based on the game requirements usually running dual Athalon CPUs with enough hard disk and memory to successfully host the game. Cost is up to $50 per month for 20
- public server- costs more (any one can play)
- private (password protected) ? costs less (I think hosting companies don?t expect a lot of traffic)

To negotiate best price you can prepay for service up front, contract 6-12 months or more will get you best deal.

Alexander
Captain

Unread post by Alexander » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:07 pm

You COULD rent a private server... and just post the password right here on the forum :roll:
Rendevouz with destiny!

Drozdov
Major

Unread post by Drozdov » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 am

We'll rent you our server... for ?2000 a month. :twisted:

What we did to create the 1FJD server was to whack together a cheap game-dedicated PC with decent specs, then take it to a local internet cafe and pay them for the bandwidth, while we have total (remote) control over the server PC. Unfortunately the bandwidth usage is limited, and we usually run out near the end of the month, so we have to pay extra or put the server offline. Not sure about how much this all costs, but it's probably too much for one man on his own to pay for - ours is payed for collectively.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:00 am

Hrmmm, It is definitely something I want to do.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial