weird explosives

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Drozdov
Major

weird explosives

Post by Drozdov » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:12 am

I blame EA who started the glowing box trend with MoHAA (at least that's the first game I've seen them in), and IS for following their trend needlessly. It's a way of making the player have to think less, simplifying it so you can't go wrong, no matter how shite you are at the game. Completely takes the interest and fun out of blowing things up. I was very disappointed at seeing them in the game when I first played through the training mission, thought it was a sign that H&D 2 was going mainstream and linear, though thankfully I was wrong. I loved the way it was in H&D 1 - you could be creative in your use of destruction! :twisted:
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Jason
Administrator

weird explosives

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:19 am

you could be creative in your use of destruction
OH YEAH :twisted:

Although. I think they might have done it for the simple fact that in H&D1 you could explode a bomb anywhere and the AI would walk through it like nothing was there. In H&D2 the AI doesn't have the opportunity to make that mistake. A simple bug fix maybe? :roll:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Drozdov
Major

weird explosives

Post by Drozdov » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 pm

the AI would walk through it like nothing was there.
You mean they had no compunctions about running through the flames left by the dynamite? True, but I doubt that was a major concern for H&D 2. They could easily change the explosives so they leave no fire behind - not many would complain. I don't think it's realistic that dynamite leaves fire behind anyway, even when there's nothing to burn.

I think the main reasons were to make H&D more familiar to MoHAA and CoD players, make the 'Blow This Up' objectives easy to complete without having any problems identifying the target or putting the bombs in the right places, and also to avoid the disappointment caused by the realisation that no matter how much dynamite you put in a building, it'll never blow up. I guess they felt that they'd have to make everything destructable if they had free usage of dynamite, and that would be too much like hard work. I still think it would have been better to have a dynamite system like H&D 1 - even if you couldn't do any damage to buildings, it'd still make bombs much more fun.
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

Jason
Administrator

weird explosives

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:46 am

You have some good points there, lots of factors probably made the decision in the end but the main point was probably for MoHAA fans, they aren't as bright as us H&D players :wink: :twisted:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

tongue411
Private

Goodjob

Post by tongue411 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:13 pm

Hooah, gr8 job...i am speechless