What was your favourite campaign and why?

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.

What was your favourite campaign?

Poll runs till Sun Jun 19, 2039 9:11 am

Operation Snowball
33%
Operation Nomad
25%
Operation Sea Wolf
8%
Operation Stranger
8%
Operation Challenger
No votes
Operation Overlord
13%
Operation Liberator
13%

Total votes: 24

Jason
Administrator

Re: What was your favourite campaign and why?

Unread post by Jason » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

There definitely should have been a lot more jungle maps, two maps was just not enough. Real missions or not it would have been fun to go around the pacific more.
can't rem the name of the street fighting mission where you have to relieve some GIs but that was great... ducking and diving amongst the rubble.
Are you talking about the Sicily mission from Sabre Squadron? shooting at nazi's would have been better, in a german village. Something more like Saving Private Ryan, the end battle scene, now that would have been cool. This was one of my favourite missions but now after a while I have grown off it :sad:
i'm hoping to play some of these co-op if i get the MP bugs ironed out and the unofficialmappack installed.
What bugs are you having?
is it just me or does anybody think retrieving abandoned 1st airborne troops from arnhem area was a 'should've been done' campaign for h&d2?
That would have been cool.

With Sabre Squadron I thought they were going to add in some great winter maps as the first few in H&D2 weren't that great compared to H&D1. There should have been another expansion, but no, we'll just have to wait for these ideas to be done in H&D3 ;)
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Wesley
Sergeant

Unread post by Wesley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Um "Nomad" I guess, partly because visibility is good, it's just sand  :lol: and partly because I love the whole North African setting. I wouldn't mind another campaign or two there.

Cpt.C
Private

Unread post by Cpt.C » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:03 pm

I would choose Op.Snowball because the first is quiet good for being stealthy and same with the second the third is not really but fun because there is some trucks which are easy to blow up and the forth is a good to snipe because you can take out most of the people on the cliff.
are you serious, i took a nightmare to get out of your world

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Just don't forget the Suppressed Sten and the De Lisle didn't exist when that campaign is set. So being stealthy is more about evading the enemy or taking them down quickly before they have a chance to make any more noise than needed. If you are playing as if it is that year realistically... that is.
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

wolf739
Private

Unread post by wolf739 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

i loved the snowball missions cause the first mission was the BEST! I'm only saying that because it made me think of my time spent in hunting season up here in Canada.. the third one was fun too, I liked the fact that you would look for the people's feet from under the trees and the third mission was hard for me at first i lost 3 guys the first time but it was really fun to snipe all the guys in a big group at the beginning

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Op. Nomad.

1. I like the north Africa theatre and the desert.
2. It has a good feel of campaign progression from start to end.
3. Theres no "lone wolf" mission...
4. Missions are scripted well, although air show and caravan should have been better...
5. You can use a decent variety of vehicles.

IS should have made more missions in Burma and Normandy and make these 2 campaigns as good as Nomad.. instead of wasting time and effort with Op. Challenger (Austria) and Liberator (Czech).

Liberator was horribly scripted :| .

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 pm

I enjoyed them all for various reasons including the diversity in the locales and fighting different nationalities. I wish Sabre Squadron could have given us a little more in that department. 

*I know that most of the ops in H&D 1 and 2 were not undertaken by the real SAS*

With that disclaimer, I think the Challenger mission should have been expanded upon in the Castle level. I enjoyed the scripted sequences and the whole thing gave me the Where Eagles Dare feeling. I would have liked the interior of the castle however to have been really cavernous and for it to have taken place at dusk or something to give a more ominous feel.

I also loved Liberator because it was the only level where that old H&D feel was somewhat present, particularly in the last level which equals the feel of Ammobox. That map was quite large and you could see great distances like in the old one.

Liberator is probably my favorite as it contains all the elements I loved in the first one. First it is in Eastern Europe. I realize that the SAS didn't op in this theatre but I love Eastern Europe as it provides a really beautifully sinister backdrop as being in the heart of enemy territory and having really dark forests, mountains and the like. I'm a sucker for Yugoslav locales in particular. The first H&D captures it perfectly. A vareity of different gameplay styles are here including urban combat, stealth and open terrain. The final mission takes all with its huge ominous atmosphere. I love watch enemy patrols. The Russian twist was classic H&D. Rescuing Trebissky was brilliant and I love killing the power before going in. The map reminds me of the Italian train station in the original. It was just a really great campaign/mission. I would have liked the town to have had some civilians at least or something. The ability to recon its outskirts and make the infiltration would have also been stellar.

As for the combat heavy levels like the Anthill, Chesnut and Overlord, more enemies or at least more atmosphere is needed. It was an incredibly linear level and I felt that the Prague level in the original should have been the template.

Snowball was enjoyable as I love winter missions and stealth. But the atmosphere of the original Norway missions is still MIA. I too hope H&D3 will address this  grin01 And as a histroy buff willing to suspend disbelief, SAS ops before the SAS existed is still hard to swallow They could have started the game in Africa and then done a fantasy Norway op. *The SAS actually did go to the country but only in 1945 to help disarm remaing German troops.
Last edited by Capt. Stirling on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Hello everyone, I've just made a new account in the forums. My favorite is The last campaign because of the beautiful scenery, because of the last mission where you actually get to drive a tank which was a great experience and because it is the longest campaign. I have finished the game in all three modes in normal difficulty level. I am replaying it on campaign mode on hard difficulty level smile01 I loved it despite it's flaws. Have fun everyone!
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:08 pm

Jason wrote:
synchro wrote:can't rem the name of the street fighting mission where you have to relieve some GIs but that was great... ducking and diving amongst the rubble.
Are you talking about the Sicily mission from Sabre Squadron? shooting at nazi's would have been better, in a german village. Something more like Saving Private Ryan, the end battle scene, now that would have been cool. This was one of my favourite missions but now after a while I have grown off it :sad:
Jason, I know this is old but he was probably referring to Blade Dancer in Operation Overlord where you need to help the Airborne guys at the bank. (The mission used for the H&D2 demo).

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:11 pm

¿Ever considered combining or doing a separate poll for the Sabre campaigns?

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Jason wrote:There definitely should have been a lot more jungle maps, two maps was just not enough. Real missions or not it would have been fun to go around the pacific more.
You'll get no argument from me there.

Well, I had to go with Operation Stranger because of the Pacific War. (Should be no surprise to you there. :lol: ) Guys have already mentioned the sniping, stealth, atmosphere (dense jungle & claustrophobic bunkers which are standard fare for Pacific missions); not to mention one of the most unique Easter eggs.

It would have been nice to try some of the Deadly Dozen 2: Pacific Theatre maps / missions using the H&D2 engine and graphics.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:51 am

Duke0196 wrote:¿Ever considered combining or doing a separate poll for the Sabre campaigns?
I thought I did once upon a time :shock: Will have to do that (or find it) :lol:

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Jason wrote:
Duke0196 wrote:¿Ever considered combining or doing a separate poll for the Sabre campaigns?
I thought I did once upon a time :shock: Will have to do that (or find it) :lol:
You probably did create one when Sabre came out (though I haven't running across it). I have seen some forums that have a special section just for polls. This would definitely help the poll from being buried and probably make the poll more active.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree that there should be a different category for Sabre Squadron. It is the only thing missing from this forum.
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 am

Operation Snowball was the best gameplay in the entire playthorugh. Good enemy AI and amazing variety with a mix of not so great graphics (compared to amazing japanese jungles). Also, Babes, Blade and Billable are quite good for replay and fun.
There are some buggy and frustratingly worst missions as well but overall the game was amazing.
Enemy and friendly AI not leaning, Less aggressive AI than Sabre Squadron and complex tactical gameplay calls for an improved H&D

Sabre Squadron was the best in my opinion except less variety and no interesting weapon models with great atmosphere and graphics, also having trouble finding surrender monkeys in expansion pack. I assume thats another missing part in the expansion.

In the end seriously where is H&D 3? Such a waste of a great concept. There is no tactical game in the market even today which can match the H&D standards.

Hope the developers recognize the fans demand.