Never Played Hidden & Dangerous - is it worth buying ???

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
jg1234
Private

Unread post by jg1234 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Hi Folks,

This is my first post here. I always try to search before posting questions like this but since there are several patches out I thought I would create a seperate post.

I just finished Call of Duty and the Expansion and have a graving for more but my system specs might not handle Brothers in Arms.

I basically like run and gun but can handle some more tactical thinking etc..

Given that - how would I like Hidden & Dangerous 2 ??? and how is the game handling patched up to version 1.06 ???

The reason I ask is because it seems to have received bad press for the bugs .

Any thoughts would be helpful. I am trying to find a good WWII FPS !!

Thanks in advance - jg1234

My Specs,

PIIII 2.5, 768 MB RAM, FX GeForce 5700 ( 256 MB ) - 17 inch Planat Flat Panel.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:42 am

Well to be honest Hidden & Dangerous 2 does not have the gameplay you might want from a WW2 game. H&D2 is primarily a squad-based (4 team members) tactical action game. The word tactical plays a great deal in the game because you can't just run into an enemy camp blasting your sten or thompson even with your whole team and not expect casualties. Also unlike COD you can play missions with full-stealth. H&D2 is based around what the Special Air Services did during WW2. It's not your everyday WW2 FPS. I suggest downloading the H&D2 or H&D2 Sabre Squadron demo before making a final decision :D

It's a brilliant game though. I like Call of Duty myself but they don't have the same gameplay.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:37 pm

With the 1.12 patch the game is quite good; and even it is not that what you can expect from every WWII shooter, H&D2 has it own tricks and spades on the sleeve:
First, SP is very good, even the AI does suck sometimes but not so bad when patched to 1.12.

Second, the weapons are well made; indirect fire is possible, and also that the game does favor rifles in med-long ranges in SP atleast, such unlike in CoD, the longest range Ive ever hit to SMG was about 40m in H&D2 without having to waste nearly half clip for one hit.

Third, the realism level is very great, such as if you want you can turn crosshairs off, the soldiers does have inventory (hands for primary weapon, shoulder for sec. weapon (such as if you have rifle + bazooka), pouches for ammos, pistols, knifes and etc, uniforms, head (helmets and hats), back (for bacpack) and what is inside the backpack), and as mentioned before, indirect fire is possible with heavier weapons and bullets bounce off in diffrent angles (such as shoot with Enfield .38 in 45 degree angle to some heavy wall, and when you fire you can actually see that the bullet just did bounce off from there to other wall and even possibly continues from there), also bullets does go through some lower materials (such as you can shoot through wood with Thompson or Sten, and even with rifles you can actually penetrate abit heavier objects but not so effective), also the bullets has their starting speed that affects for aim.

Fourth, the game has it own atmostrophe; such in the mission Blade Dancer, hearing the ambient sounds and seeing (and hearing) that the planes flies around, it makes you really feel that youre out there, also stealth missions are absolutely great.

But the downsides of the games are that some missions are abit stupid or feels like that the devs had hurry to finish the game (such as in the last campaing you have 3 missions straight that you just have to kill everyone you see if its enemy), it does not fit for those who prefer fast action bangs and booms around that everyone dies and so on, also AI does has it own issues and it has some nasty bugs around, and as talkinga bout Sabre Squadron (the expansion of the game), it is otherwise nice but most of missions are kinda crap in SS, but via co-operative gamemode they are very fun with friend in LAN or something like that.

But as for overall, it is good game with good realism level, and the game has alot of diffrent oppoturnies for tactics (such as when you learn use of tactical map and really put some effort to plan, you can make really fast and deadly attacks sometimes) and also one reason for replay is just for that you actually want to try diffrent tactics around, either sneaking around and knifing people or knocking on enemy door with a tank (if you find one that you can operate).

And as for multiplayer part, I didnt like it so much but its still quite fun around.

But as for rating, I would rate H&D2 as 8\10, even it has it own issues that really annoy and some bugs and blalblabla, it is definetly worth to get if you just like a bit diffrent game than most of other WWII shooters.
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

jg1234
Private

Thanks !

Unread post by jg1234 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:13 pm

Thank you everybody for the quick response.

That was good information. I will download the demo and give that a try.

Regards - jg1234