SS Carnage mode bugs

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
geosouv
Lieutenant

SS Carnage mode bugs

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 am

Hi guys,

I just finished SS (v. 1.12.0) in campaign mode (normal difficulty) and I was disappointed by the quality of the game. All the bugs of the original game are still there and there are no major improvements in any section of the game. I mean OK, they added a few weapons and sounds, but the new weapons models are just awful. Take a look at the gewehr 43 and its iron sights. Sloppy work. And you cannot even reload the weapon any time you want (!) like you can with all magazine fed weapons. I found the game to be unacceptable. Also, I found two of its missions to be a copy paste of one H&D 2 mission and one H&D 1 mission. I am quite sure the game didn't sell many copies. Does anyone know how many copies it sold?

Anyway, I am thinking of playing it on carnage mode but I strongly suspect there will be major bugs in this mode, as there were in H&D 2 carnage mode. Is it worth playing again in carnage mode or should I abandon the idea because of serious bugs?
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Jason
Administrator

Re: SS Carnage mode bugs

Unread post by Jason » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 am

Perhaps you can list the bugs instead of just saying there are "major bugs"...
geosouv wrote:All the bugs of the original game are still there and there are no major improvements in any section of the game.
You should look over the patch read me files. Did you play H&D2 with version 1.12? or did you play it with a previous version?

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:47 am

Yes, I have said this time and time again, the G43 model is awful; it is supposed to fill the niche of the M1, so being able to reload it at any time, removes it from that. Though of course I have that lock removed and I can freely reload it. grin01 Not that I use it at all... :mrgreen:

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Jason wrote:Perhaps you can list the bugs instead of just saying there are "major bugs"...

You should look over the patch read me files. Did you play H&D2 with version 1.12? or did you play it with a previous version?
I played the game in v. 1.12.0
Bugs:
1) Tanks don't blow up unless you hit them in a specific spot (again) no_02
2) Bug in C2M3 (Sitting Duck) with the German holding and using the flare gun.
3) Gewehr 43 cannot be reloaded at any time like all magazine fed weapons can and as we have seen in other games like Call Of Duty: United Offensive.

I will probably come across more bugs when I play carnage mode and I will edit this post by adding them.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 pm

George, I guess it depends on your interpretation of "bugs." I view "bugs" more as "glitches" or game stoppers in the way you recently experienced in SS C2M3 "Sitting Duck." A couple things you mentioned strike me more as game design decisions (both good and bad).

An example of what I interpret to be game design. You've previously said the "Garand" is one of your favorite weapons. Some FPS games allow you to reload your M1 Garand whenever you want. You & I know this is historically incorrect since you have to actually fire all 8 rounds before you can insert a new 8-round en-bloc clip into the internal magazine. In this case, H&D2 gets it right.
geosouv wrote:Bugs:
1) Tanks don't blow up unless you hit them in a specific spot (again) no_02
I think this is more game design rather than a "bug" since some places on a tank are better armored, or more vulnerable, than others. Perhaps they tried to make it a bit more realistic than one-shot one-kill.
geosouv wrote:2) Bug in C2M3 (Sitting Duck) with the German holding and using the flare gun.

Thankfully, I have never experienced this bug and I have killed him before and after he's had an opportunity to use his flare.
geosouv wrote:3) Gewehr 43 cannot be reloaded at any time like all magazine fed weapons can and as we have seen in other games like Call Of Duty: United Offensive.
Again, I think this is more game design choice rather than a "bug" but I agree it is incorrect. As for your previous comment about the G43's iron sights. Yeah, they bite. They are a lot nicer in CoD:UO.

I can picture you banging the desk in frustration trying to exit "Sitting Duck," so here is a funny video on some game "bugs" and "glitches" to take away the edge. Enjoy! thup01

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1132254/t ... _glitches/

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Duke,

The video you sent me was very funny :grin:

About the tanks bug. I seriously don't think they made this by choice for realism. I think it's a bug, because it existed in H&D 2 as well and it was very frustrating. In H&D 2 each tank you had to destroy needed to be hit on a different spot! I mean that is obviously a bug. I can't classify it as a realism decision, sorry.

H&D 2 had excellent gun models and they had done a wonderful job on giving details such as muzzle velocity and number of bullets in the magazine on the loadout menu. I can't say the same for SS though.

About the Gewehr 43, a really nice weapon by the way, although inferior to the Tokarev SVT-40 (see COD: UO) or my favorite M1 Garand. It isn't really a bug, it's just sloppy work. They added a new weapon which is terribly designed, both its iron sights and the weapon itself and they didn't even bother to give it a manual reload function. Very sloppy. As is the whole game, sloppy and inferior to the original H&D 2.

Actually I was swearing a lot at the designers as I was doing in H&D 2 funny02 . it seems I managed to discover every single bug this game has! I tend to discover a lot of bugs in other games as well. I don't know why this is happening but it is quite annoying.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 pm

geosouv wrote:Duke, The video you sent me was very funny :grin:
Glad you liked it. thup01
geosouv wrote:About the tanks bug. I seriously don't think they made this by choice for realism. I think it's a bug, because it existed in H&D 2 as well and it was very frustrating. In H&D 2 each tank you had to destroy needed to be hit on a different spot! I mean that is obviously a bug. I can't classify it as a realism decision, sorry.
Well, again, it could be argued that the armor strengths and weaknesses on the various German models is a factor. After all there is a genuine difference between the armor on a Panzer III medium tank versus a heavy tank like the Panzer VI "Tiger I."
geosouv wrote:About the Gewehr 43, a really nice weapon by the way, although inferior to the Tokarev SVT-40 (see COD: UO) or my favorite M1 Garand. It isn't really a bug, it's just sloppy work.
I agree they could have done a better job. You'd think with a game that actually lets you use the "iron sights" ... they'd have done a better graphics job. A shame really. :sad:
geosouv wrote:it seems I managed to discover every single bug this game has! I tend to discover a lot of bugs in other games as well. I don't know why this is happening but it is quite annoying.
In that case, maybe you should play test for game developers so we can all have "bug-less" games. :lol:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 am

Duke0196 wrote:You & I know this is historically incorrect since you have to actually fire all 8 rounds before you can insert a new 8-round en-bloc clip into the internal magazine. In this case, H&D2 gets it right.
Funny joke... if you are lazy sure!

You and I know, this is incorrect. HD2 gets it... balanced. All you have to do, historically, is simply eject the unspent rounds with the en-bloc or load rounds individually.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, lazy, balanced, or whatever. Since these games are geared towards battlefield conditions ... my comment was geared towards that. Anyway, it was not uncommon for some soldiers to, historically, fire off their remaining 1 or 2 rounds in their Garand so they could insert a full en-bloc. So I guess you could consider them lazy. Obviously the battlefield conditions would dictate the extent of use. Tell you what, you go ahead and fill your en-bloc, and we'll come back with a bodybag for you later. But seriously, to get back on the "bugs" topic; some game designers choose to allow reloading mid en-bloc whereas others do not; therefore these game design decisions aren't necessarily bugs. Illusion may have taken shortcuts on their G43; but the decision to not allow it to be reloaded mid-magazine was a designer decision, not a bug. Cheers ... thup01

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:08 pm

You are over or under analyzing... You specifically said have to, to be able to, which is incorrect. You do not have to fire off all remaining rounds to insert a new anything.

As for "battlefield conditions", this is too broadly defined; do you mean under fire? In your obnoxious scenario you say you will come back, so you must have been there, what happened?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you do; you don't have to load rounds individually if you choose not to expend remaining rounds before reloading. Most of the time, in game especially, you are not under fire, there are times when you finish a battle with an unfavorable amount left. Why enter the next battle like that? Why fire off rounds into the air or ground? It is a simple action to eject the en-bloc, just as if it was automatically ejected after expending ammunition, except you will have your hand in a better position to collect it. :roll: :P
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:36 pm

I see you have a point there. Do check out this video. I think (I have never seen anyone do it) it is possible to eject a clip manually with the M1 Garand, but you will lose some ammunition while doing so, and this is a big problem in battle as you want to save your ammunition rather than expending it recklessly. Especially when we are talking about big .30 -06 rounds that come in smaller amounts.

Actually, I don't think any soldier in battle with an M1 Garand ejected a half full clip. That was the original idea that John Garand had about his gun, that the clip automatically ejects so you don't have to do it manually, like in most guns, which is time consuming. I don't remember any games in which you could do that. Of course this technology had its disadvantages, which were considerable.

But still, it was one of the best semi-automatic rifles ever produced, a sweet shooter, heavy, reliable, accurate and a rifle that Americans say won World War 2, although I think it is hyperbolic to say that, knowing that the Russians had very good and reliable rifles as well such as the Mosin Nagant or the Tokarev SVT-40.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:57 pm

geosouv wrote:Actually, I don't think any soldier in battle with an M1 Garand ejected a half full clip.
Doubtful, as even I said 1 or 2 rounds. Who knows it could be more of a theatre thing as I am more familiar with the Pacific than Europe. Nothing worse to have only 1 round chambered with some Japanese soldier ready to skewer you with his bayonet. thup01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:15 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:You are over or under analyzing...
Old folks are known to do both. :lol: But let's try to get this thing back on George's topic of "bugs." You may want to create a separate topic item so we don't hijack George's thread as its interesting to hear various viewpoints. thup01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:19 pm

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:You specifically said have to, to be able to, which is incorrect. You do not have to fire off all remaining rounds to insert a new anything.
Babelfish says the English I should have used was "What you must do" but that doesn't sound right either. :?:

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:02 pm

@-ViTaMiHnM203-

I think you need to take it easy, his first language is not English and so is mine. Duke's English are very good. Making corrections on others' mistakes isn't always the wisest choice. Some people consider this to be rude, at least where I live.