C6M2 OPERATION OVERLORD: BLADE DANCER

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
shrekdj
Corporal

Re: C6M2 OPERATION OVERLORD: BLADE DANCER

Unread post by shrekdj » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:12 am

Duke0196 wrote:
shrekdj wrote:Mr. Duke some members in this forum have actually served in army and participated in war, is that true?
Mr? :?: So the word has gotten out about my age? :lol:

In India we greet people with respect which is not limited to age group. :mrgreen:
I cannot speak for the others; but I retired from the service. Due to my specialty, I worked with all the services in various operations.
Thats awesome!.. Sir. smile01
Infact H&D2 if not perfectly in style but in authenticity works really well in keeping the mood. Though, even other games are good as well and better too.
If you don't mind asking about this, but I would Like to know how does it feel to be part of the action?? I mean shooting enemies, getting wounded and even making spontaneous strategies in life and death situations. smile01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 pm

shrekdj wrote:In India we greet people with respect which is not limited to age group. :mrgreen:
Oh course, you know if I was still in ... I'd tell you "Don't call me sir ... I work for a living." [Sir, of course being a reference to the officers]. :lol:
shrekdj wrote:If you don't mind asking about this, but I would Like to know how does it feel to be part of the action??
It's a touchy subject but if you are thinking its all glory ... its not. Sometimes you are so bored and other times you are so scared; at least that's how it was for me. There are a lot of operations that aren't declared wars yet people die; and there is no saved game to reload if you or a buddy dies. I remember being wet and tired in the jungle knowing that the enemy was 1 km away from our outpost. Your ears straining to hear any movement but also relieved that you don't. I remember seeing friends in the morning and four hours later they are all dead. You can't imagine what it is to identify someone without an arm who is so messed up that their own parents probably wouldn't recognize them. You hope your training helps keep you and your people alive but we don't have a crystal ball to know the future. I wish I did. The one person I lost committed suicide because they could not take the stress any longer.

Of course, people react differently. My uncle left Fremantle, Australia with his team and they were dropped off by a US sub in Japanese-held Philippines. They were behind enemy lines for nearly a year until the Army started retaking the Philippines. My uncle never talked about it. I knew he and my dad were in the same unit but I learned about his mission after he was dead when I found his Bronze Star citation at the National Archives while researching their unit. By coincidence, the November 2011 issue of Sea Classics magazine has an article entitled "The Silent Service's Secret War" which talks about some of the insertion missions.

Well, I hope this helps satisfy your curiosity but I also hope you understand if we close the book on this subject. Thanks.

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:03 am

Thats really nice of you, i would like to say that the motivation comes from heroes like you who have the true spirit to serve your country come what may be the consequences you are going to do it , but then now times are changing and in a totally globalised world you are left with very few options.

Sir, I wish you good luck making proud to your country's service and dedicate a nice little poem for your soldier friends.

How does a soldier feel fighting a war?
Does he always know what he is fighting for?
Maybe he knows but doesn't understand,
why he is alone in a faraway land.
Like so many others he is there for a cause,
And like the rest he doesn't pause.
He has a job that he does well,
even as his best friend beside him fell.
How does he feel when he hears the news,
of violent protests from the ignorant few?
His shame is great, the pain goes deep
he feels compassion for the dead at his feet.
Rioters can boast and carry signs,
about the war that has shook our time.
But when the call comes for them to go,
they burn their draft cards and make a show.
How can a soldier be proud of his land,
when this type of people make a stand?
How can we show him we are glad he is there,
fighting for freedom and the ones who care?
War is unfair in any way of life,
and all involved must pay the price.
But the soldier is proud to keep us free,
stop and think..........
Shouldn't you be? smile01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:59 am

Thank you ... but in this day in age the poem is a little sexist since it only says "he." What I mean is ... my wife completed her 15-month tour in Iraq a few years ago. And by the way I was a Sailor, a Navy Chief Petty Officer which is a Senior NCO, but I did deployments and assignments in my early career with the Marines and Army. More with the Marines since they are also part of the Department of the Navy. Take care. thup01

Pradeep1
Private

Unread post by Pradeep1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:32 am

Hi,

As usual I hav missed interesting part of ur discussion.

As he said it was a proud moment to intract wit u Mr.Duke. Feeling so gud.

Stay tuned. Take care...

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:29 am

No worries Pradeep.

And guys, please feel free to just call me Duke. I, however, understand the cultural thing as we too use it so use whatever you feel at ease.

Later ... thup01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:37 am

In Australia if you call someone Mr or Sir etc. and not by their first name (or mate) it can be taken as a sign of disrespect (at the very least unfriendly). For instance, most people are on a first name basis with their Bosses. We keep it casual :cool: respect is very important in ALL cultures, we all just have a different set of standards.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 am

I know we went off topic but on your remark about standards and cultural things ... in the US military, sir is for all officers and in the Navy "Mister" is for junior naval officers (Officer grades O-1 to O-4) and Warrant Officers ... like in the movie ... Mister Roberts. And on active duty, most senior enlisted actually view "sir" a sign of disrespect.

From day 1 an officer is called sir; but it takes years of service to be promoted up the ranks to become an NCO or Senior NCO. A Navy "Chief" is equivalent to a Marine "Gunny" which are both considered Senior NCOs (Chief Petty Officers / Staff NCOs in the respective services). Therefore, we take pride in being referred to as "Gunny" or "Chief" as not everyone gets that far.

As an example, at a Division Officer / Division Chief seminar the average length of naval experience for the officers was ALMOST 2 years ... the average naval experience of the Chiefs was about 15 year plus. It is a Chief's responsibility to train the officers to be the future leaders of the Navy but also take care of their junior personnel.

Maybe this comic will give you a little insight ...

http://www.pvtmurphy.com/strips/full/57 ... the-LT.jpg
http://www.pvtmurphy.com/
Attachments
57-Meeting-the-LT.jpg
PVT Murphy - Meeting the LT
57-Meeting-the-LT.jpg (102.85 KiB) Viewed 14724 times
Last edited by Duke0196 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:54 pm

For clarifications sake: mister is also used for warrant officers; O-4 in the Navy is still a junior officer; in the Marine Corps, they are staff NCOs, not senior, starting at E-6, as opposed to E-7 for the other services; and the culture in the Marine Corps is a lot more disciplined, being called Gunny or Master Guns, is seen as a sign of breaking discipline, and is not universally seen as a sign of respect, you should not assume a Gunnery Sergeant or Master Gunnery Sergeant wants to be addressed by a nickname, always assume the opposite or you are in for a hurting. In the Marine Corps you are addressed by your full rank, unless of course you are on friendly terms and have an understanding that lets you be "friendly."

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:35 am

Boy I have to stop writing these things at 3 in the morning ... or relying on memories from 20 - 30 years ago. :lol:

Actually Vit ... the emphasis in my post was to show how formality or the use of "sir" and "Mister" can sometimes be viewed negatively depending on cultural viewpoint.

The sea service culture is hard enough to explain to other services and more so to civilians. Many cannot understand the bond between the Navy and the Corps; but since you bring it up. You are totally right about Staff NCOs and no offense if your were in the Corps as that would have meant we both in the Sea Services. Gotta love the Staff NCOs, I was able to get into the Staff NCO Club in Olongapo as a Petty Officer 1st Class. :grin: Anyway, using the "Staff NCO" analogy, Navy and Coast Guard CPOs are also not Senior NCOs ... we are Chief Petty Officers. In addition to simplicities sake, I used the generic term "Senior NCO" to make a point of seniority as that is understood on a wider scale since this thread has essentially become a cultural discussion rather the intent of it being about Blade Dancer.

Correct, in a formalized environment, "Chief Petty Officer" versus "Chief" is proper as is "Gunnery Sergeant" versus "Gunny" but situation dictates usage. Even as a young Seaman we referred to the "Gunny" as "Gunny." Maybe the level of formality was different with Radio Battalion Marines since we worked side-by-side in the same watch sections and the same environment whether it was on shore, on the sea, under the sea, and air? I don't know of any other part of the Navy, other than Navy Corpsman, that worked as closely with the Marines. We went to the same schools, etc.

I had a joint service team and my number two was actually a Marine Staff Sergeant. Anyway, I cringed when I heard an Army Sergeant call him "Sergeant" to which he calmed replied why did the Army Sergeant demote him ... and then he read him the riot act. :lol: Again, its service culture. I never called anyone "Master Gunns" or "Master Gunny" since the most senior enlisted Marine I dealt with was a "Top;" but I do recall we called a Marine Warrant we worked for ... "Gunner." :grin:

True, while "Mister" is appropriate for JOs and Warrants ... situations, rank, or rate obviously dictate usage. I, and that is just me, don't recall hearing a Navy Lt Commander (LCDR) called "Mister;" but chances are some Admiral used it. Since the commanding officers of many of my duty stations and ships was a LCDR ... we obviously referred to him as "Captain" or "skipper." As I said ... hard to get folks to understand our sea service culture; but I loved it for my 20+ years.

Been great talking with you ... later Vit ... thup01
Last edited by Duke0196 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:41 am

The senior NCO block is still E7-9, the USMC breaks away from that mold. Top and Gunner are job titles, so less strict.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 am

Okay, you guys ... test tomorrow. Let's see if you paid attention to Vit and meself. :lol:

Pradeep1
Private

Unread post by Pradeep1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Shocked to see my post reply going up even aftr getting d resolution...
Topic started frm H&D2 navigated to Culture and Respect and currently its residing in U.S Milltary........Not sure wer it gonna end..But getting to know many new things... :grin:

shrekdj
Corporal

Unread post by shrekdj » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:41 am

Pradeep1 wrote:Shocked to see my post reply going up even aftr getting d resolution...
Topic started frm H&D2 navigated to Culture and Respect and currently its residing in U.S Milltary........Not sure wer it gonna end..But getting to know many new things... :grin:
Unfortunately, In India many youths drop the idea to join the military and army as an academy. Many reasons contribute the lack of interest but most importantly is the corruption within the administration. I have been into Chartered Accountancy and currently preparing for Finals. If I clear my exams my next step is to prepare myself for IAS and continue my career in Administration service. smile01

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 pm

The military isn't for everyone and the majority do not make it a career. Plus, military or not, I'm sure there many folks happily doing their jobs that I would totally hate and many would have hated the lifestyle I had.

Say, if you are still in Chicago and haven't done so ... you might check out the U-505 at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Good luck on the exams. thup01