Editing soldier stats

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Re: Editing soldier stats

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm

So I've been editing the names, playing with the values and such to effect. However I'm stuck on trying to alter the names of the player.

I'm viewing the values in hex editor with ASCI II 7 bit. The problem is failure to  load the game due to my changing of these particular values.

Example,
(#.....#....John. #....Glesby..#....Smithy..#....x_f_018.bmp.

If I simply delete his nick name Smithy, (#.....#....John. #....Glesby..#......#....x_f_018.bmp.
or add characters (#.....#....John. #....Glesby..#....Smithyy..#....x_f_018.bmp.

I get failure. As with the Surname and First name. Apparently I can delete characters and can replace existing ones but to go any further brings corruption.

I'm working on this as I type so I may answer my own question. However I'm rather inexperienced with this type of editing so advice is appreciated.

I've edited this to encompass all name values from an earlier post concerning just the nick names.
Last edited by Capt. Stirling on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Yeah the 03 is definitely bogus. I encountered the same problem a while back when trying to reduce the bytes in their names, as with correcting Wrighte's name; don't know if you noticed but that shit really pissed me off. There is a space between "Wright" and the ":" after the characters name. He was the only one with this issue. So now he is "Wrighte:" instead of "Wright :" and I feel better. :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

hdmaster
Sergeant

Unread post by hdmaster » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:03 am

The humanstore.def file is based on chunks where each chunk has an ID that identifies it's content. This ID is always followed by the length of the chunk. A chunks can also be a child/parent of another chunk.

So basically it looks like this:

ID = 2 bytes (short value, I represent it as hex)
length  = 4 bytes (long value)

Code: Select all

ID	length 
0x9A02 [10316]			This is the main chunk that contains all soldiers, it's length is similar to the filesize
    0x2823 [143]		This ID tells us that a new soldier chunk begins. In this case, it's total length is 143 bytes 
        0x9623 [14]		So here's the chunk that contains the first name of our first soldier, Douglas Lauer
				The 4 bytes after the ID 0x9623 says the chunk is 14 bytes long, but the length of the first name is 8 bytes
				(+1 byte because strings are terminated with 0x00). The reason is that the length of a chunk includes already 
                                it's ID and length, so 2 (ID) + 4 (length) = 6. 6 + 8 = 14! This applies to all chunks: Content length = Chunk Length - 6

0xA023 [12]		Contains surname
        0xAA23 [7]		Nickname. Douglas Lauer has no nickname. The content of the chunk is simply 0x00
        0xF023 [18]		BMP picture
        0xDE26 [10]		Rank
        0xF326 [10]		?
        0xF426 [10]		?
        0xF526 [10]		?
        0xAD26 [46]		This chunk contains the soldier stats which KyleM already figured out
    0x2823 [147]		Starting with the next soldier.
So if you want to change a name you have to adapt the lengths of the chunks. Depends how much you remove or add. But don't forget that you need to change the lengths of all parent chunks, too. And i guess that all chunks are neccessary, so don't delete them :)

manmohanth
Private

Unread post by manmohanth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 pm

hey guys can any one teach me,
how to edit soldier strength (carrying capacity).
i am new at this, so i would appreciate it if you can keep it simple,
thanks