In the Ideal World: Ideas for a Final Patch

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Johannes
Private

In the Ideal World: Ideas for a Final Patch

Unread post by Johannes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Yeah I know, it'll obviously never happen, but finally playing through all the single player H&D2 and SS levels as well as playing multiplayer a while made me think of what I felt were some missing touches, some final additions to the game that would make it perfect. So I thought I'd post them here just for fun. I don't include bug fixes or modding tools simply because I don't know what the community has wanted in terms of them, focusing instead on changes and additions to the already existing game:

-Primary importance: Added coop levels from the base game. Considering the unlikelihood of a very detailed patch (not to mention any patch at all, but we already know that), I theoretically limit this to an additional five levels added into coop. The ones I think that would best fit adaption to coop are: Spaghetti Airport, Whisky Bar, Anthill (got to get one of the Japanese maps in there!), Blade Dancer, and Annual Fair.

-Primary importance: Lower magazine count of ZB26 from 30 to 20 rounds, which was what they actually contained. 30 round magazines weren't commonly used on ZB guns. The game's model even clearly portrays the 20-round magazine. I don't think this would unbalance things considering the MP44 has 30-round magazines compared to the BAR 1918's 20 rounds.

-Primary importance: Some Italian weaponry would be nice, but especially the Beretta M1938A submachine gun: in multiplayer the Allies have a wide variety of SMGs to choose from, while the Axis only have the MP40. The large 40-round magazine of the Beretta would give the Axis an alternative competitor to the large magazine count of the Allied PPSh-41.

-Primary importance: French helmet (the Adrian 1926): This is a small addition which I consider important for one reason: in the multiplayer, the Allies can use the MAS 36. The only Allied nation to use the MAS 36 was France (though the Germans also used captured examples to arm secondary troops). Consequently, it is odd wearing a British or American helmet while using this rifle, even if it's not actually technically historically incorrect (the Free French wore British helmets, and a great number of the standard French Army post-1943 wore American helmets). In any case, the French Adrian 1926 remained a common sight among both French Army troops and French Resistance partisans; the French already have a weapon, give them a unique uniform! Also, this might seem very picky, but for multiplayer maps set in North Africa, it's hard for me to imagine, despite the "Libya" designations, them taking place anywhere other than in Tunisia given the fact that there are American soldiers running about everywhere. The French Army fighting in Tunisia on the Allied side was in fact Vichy French during that campaign (though there were some Free French troops who entered toward the end of the campaign attached to the British Eighth Army), and they had received very little in terms of American or British equipment before the end of the campaign. Other than the British-armed Corps Franc d'Afrique (who therefore didn't use the MAS 36), the Allied Vichy French wore and used entirely French stuff. The Adrian 1926 helmet is especially relevant for these levels.

-Secondary importance: A 50-round drum magazine-equipped portable MG34 would be a good addition to the Axis light machine gun arsenal, especially against the Russian DP. Not a necessity and definitely secondary to an added submachine gun in terms of balance, but still a nice possibility.

-Secondary importance: Chinese helmet added to the Burma multiplayer levels. Actually, this is not very necessary, especially since Chinese troops in the Burma campaign often (and eventually usually) used British or American helmets, but it's so simple that it would be a shame not to see it done. In fact, it's simply the German helmet. If extra effort is desired, the KMT symbol could be textured on as was most common, but this isn't historically necessary. In short, the Chinese were a major Allied presence on the Burmese front. It would be fun pretending to be Chinese in multiplayer wearing one of these. In addition, it would make H&D2 technically the only commercial first-person shooter to portray China in WW2, quite an oversight in the market considering that China was universally considered the fourth most important Allied nation at the time period. Here's a picture (not owned by me):

-Secondary importance: Add some of the other uniforms standard to multiplayer. Some servers already do this, but I'm not entirely sure why most of these uniforms aren't enabled by default (a lot of the officer uniforms are awesome). Also, some of the Sabre Squadron uniforms should be added when relevant, such as the Italian Army uniform added for maps set in North Africa or the French Resistance clothes for maps set in France (would go great with my French helmet up there).

-Low importance: Not technically part of the patch, but they might want to consider releasing Sabre Squadron as a free download in conjunction with a patch. It's almost literally impossible to find in the United States, and since the game is very old now anyway, the only reason it was recently purchased so much in the U.S. is because GameStop put them on so low of a price. Releasing Sabre Squadron for free would be a nice courtesy that would help keep players playing longer, allow the new American players who would otherwise never find it to play coop with everyone else, and give servers no excuse to not run SS so that I can use my precious MAS 36 and Gewehr 43 more than on rare occasions!  ;)

Well, those are the additional contents of my dream patch, even if we know it probably will never happen. What about the rest of you?
Last edited by Johannes on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.