The Quality of Computer Games Today

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Jason
Administrator

The Quality of Computer Games Today

Unread post by Jason » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:56 am

Well the graphics of computer games has definitely gone up and the gameplay intensity has changed but why has the quality of the "programming" gone to shit. What am I talking about? Well Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 craps out in COOP. Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars craps out in Multiplayer. These are both good games but are not playable with a friend. The developers have released patches but have been unable to fix the bugs and now it seems they have given up.

Remember the time when games would come out and not even need a patch? Or the time when patches fixed problems?

2kCzech better not head down the road of filthy game development.

What games have you played lately that are unplayable due to bugs?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Wesley
Sergeant

Re: The Quality of Computer Games Today

Unread post by Wesley » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 am

I'm sorry to say I haven't played a new game in years. My last was FarCry, which I found very disappointing. I haven't finished it yet.  funny02

Armed & Dangerous was the last game I played which does not have any patches. (I recommend it, however it's a very crude console conversion).

Beyond good and evil was the only game I know of that becomes broken if you attempt to patch it. You have to play half way through the game to find out what the patch breaks. I really hate Ubisoft for that one.

Lately games have been boring me to death and become very expensive to buy the hardware to run them properly. I bought a Radeon 9700 PRO in 2003 I think, the best card on the market for $300. It was excellent for a long time. Now...you're looking at about $1200 for the latest and greatest, which ironically breaks old games as it fixes new ones!

And don't get me started on Vista...

(UGF} Corporal Desola
Corporal

Unread post by (UGF} Corporal Desola » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:15 am

Oh, how much I love my Pista, and an DirectX paletted mode doesn't even work properly in Windows7 which is supposed to be the fixer of all fixer OSes for Pista.

Hahahahaha, look at Medal of Honor: Airgorne (as yes, when we played it all the Air about MoHA simply went, due to our shock and awe of how unstable it was, yet how good it looked.)!

I've always said, as we aparently 'progress' in the games industry, we seem to actually end up with worse games. The problem probably is all these Games Creation Collages, see ein the days of old, it was general application programmers who wrote the game engines, not these 'games programmers'!
Watch my personal text, it reveals how many days or how many kilobytes of code may pass before I'm seen on the forum and what I'm doing on those days; It's being as Zoolander would say "InFourMaTave in a small small way".

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 am

I can't remember any games that would be unplayable due bugs or anything, but I am snob enough to say that many games these days are quite crappy more or less. Mainly because they lack any decent overall quality.

And if there's one thing I hate, that is illogical and 'as artificial as possible' difficulties in some games. Left 4 Dead somewhat falls in this category, since on easy you can literally play the game with keyboard only and you still ain't gonna get killed. Normal is pretty much the same, advanced is something that is doable in very, very very few situations (like in public games, people seems to have no clue what to do there) while expert is the only one that offers any real challenge and so that you might actually get killed and screw up if you mess around too much, but even that becomes fairly easy if you have few human players who knows the basics quite well. But take a good guess : people are saying that "omfg expert is too hard"  :lol:

But about Vista, am I the only person on earth who does not have problems with Vista? So far only game I have been unable to run (no matter what I do) is Resident Evil 2, and that is old as hell, and practically this shit is far more stable than XP was on my old comp  :P
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

(UGF} Corporal Desola
Corporal

Unread post by (UGF} Corporal Desola » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Well as an Network Technician, Vista is beautiful, all those security features, admitantly, the 32-bit Device Driver incompatibility sucks there, but the security features definitly take the cake.

As an gamer, I hate Vista, the graphics eat too much Real Memory (actual RAM not Virtually Paged, hehehe), and take up too many threads (yeah, good if you have got an dual-core, too bad if you've got an x64 single like me).

But it is TRUE, that DirectX 10 is about the best implementation of DirectX I've ever seen, because they ripped out all the shit that used to jam up the graphics pipe-line and fill up the stack unessarily, but as an gamer, I hate DirectX 10 because they ripped out that 'shit' and in the process made it directly incompatible with previous DirectX versions. That is why, theres an DX 8.1 Stub DLL (probably used to change DX 8.1 code into DX 9.0 compatible code, by inserting Stub code, hense the name DX 8.1 Stub) and an lite installation of Dx 9.0c in the System32 folder of Vista.

Windows7 because it is still developing, is an night-mare ATM, that is why they call it an BETA, duh!
Watch my personal text, it reveals how many days or how many kilobytes of code may pass before I'm seen on the forum and what I'm doing on those days; It's being as Zoolander would say "InFourMaTave in a small small way".

major sea
Private

Unread post by major sea » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 pm

i think....and you know thinking is not knowing, that we just all go into a cryostasis for a year
or five and wakeup with enough money to but the gamepc of the year. would that help?
just kidding. it seems that there a just many lazy programmers or they are to speedy
to finish a good idea for a game. if they would not be after money but just follow the
intension of making a good game and finish it...it would take longer tho.

vista is very nice for the dummy home pc luser...ehhh user where windows7 does not
contain all that crap you do not have access to even as administrator 'access denied'.
uac is one good thing but without proper details it sux...like when i get the flashplayer
and install this it could 'see' this and notice it would be oke! to install. now everyone
just has double rsi of clicking so much more.

i still trust my xpsp2 on my amd +4400 with raptor hdd 10000rpm but have installed vista ult. on another partition just to see if dx10 is better on vista then xpsp3...and hopefully VLITE will allow me to knock off all the shit i do not use as a gamer. Also i have good feeling about the amd fusion program that with a 'hack' can be used for intel cpu's  So i might Return to Castle Wolfenstein for the moment or watch the tv as long as it moves i dont care.
Last edited by major sea on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 am

it seems that there a just many lazy programmers or they are to speedy
to finish a good idea for a game. if they would not be after money but just follow the
intension of making a good game and finish it...it would take longer tho.
I am not so sure, 2k Czech (Illusion Softworks) takes a while to create games, they are always good quality gameplay but there is often bugs frown01

Some game companies manage to just get it right. Maybe it is something to do with the development process rather than the speed? If you keep adding things and don't fix other things properly you are bound to have bugs.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial