My H&D Obsession part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4 and part 5

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Jason
Administrator

My H&D Obsession part 3

Unread post by Jason » Fri May 02, 2008 11:13 am

:mrgreen: They came today.

Cool green cd.

The front, click for hi-res version (800px width)

Side by side.

It's much bigger!

The top seal.

The bottom seal.

See, 2 copies.

Inside, yes it has a flap!

You have NO IDEA how happy I am with these. I am over the moon with excitement. Look closely at the box, the H&D text logo is raised, along with the eyes and other parts. There is NO Take2 logo any where! it's the original Talonsoft release. They are both sealed at the ends. I though they were covered in plastic so when I first saw it in the shipping box I was like "oh no" but the quality of the box design and the condition they are both in PLUS they have a flap cover.

:mrgreen:

Where are they now, well one is across the room, I look up from my monitor and there it is... the other... well we will see where the other ends up ;)

BAH BAH BAH, BUH BAH BAH BAH, BAH BUH BAH!
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Jason
Administrator

My H&D Obsession part 4

Unread post by Jason » Thu May 08, 2008 12:04 pm

What? you thought that was it. It does say obsession for a reason, I am obsessed with getting all the "cool" versions of the game. I know it's the same game. I have too much time and money... that's where ebay comes in :oops:

In this collection you can see the star player is the "Multiplayer Mania" I saw this version years ago. It was like $50, too much for poor old me then. I got it on ebay for $3 bucks. Comes with H&D1, Code name eagle and Flying Heroes.

"un gioco completo in regalo" is Italian and Google says it means "a complete game giveaways".

Until next time... yes there will be more.

Wesley
Sergeant

Re: My H&D Obsession part 1, part 2 and part 3

Unread post by Wesley » Thu May 15, 2008 8:08 am

Hey Jason, if you don't collect these things, who will?  thup01

Jason
Administrator

My H&D Obsession part 5

Unread post by Jason » Tue May 20, 2008 10:56 am

From top left to bottom right we have:

H&D Courage Under Fire in a slim dvd case, H&D Action Pack (original + devils bridge), PC Gamer presents H&D2, German DVD version of H&D2, Italian copy of H&D2 which came free with a magazine (sealed), H&D for playstation (sealed), the first copy of H&D playstation they sent which was not sealed :|, the german H&D gold edition (H&D + Fight for freedom), H&D for Dreamcast (sealed, PAL) and H&D for dreamcast (sealed, NTSC)

The inside of H&D Action Pack

The back of H&D Action Pack

That is it for now, more on the way and my draw is full :oops:

Godbee
Private

Re: My H&D Obsession part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4 and part 5

Unread post by Godbee » Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 am

I'm dying to get a Courage Under Fire set, but can't find it anywhere!  :cry:
Xfire = 22Joe

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Ebay man. Make sure you get the US/UK version which is H&D2 and H&D SS in one box. The one shown above is the dvd style and the discs (6) are all crammed in plus no manuals, thats why there is 6 discs.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Collection 6

Ebay is becoming dry of new versions :oops:

In this one we have Devils Bridge sealed, Action Pack sealed, H&D Gold (german action pack) sealed, Sabre Squadron in a box, a polish trilogy that has H&D H&D2 and SS :mrgreen: the others are pretty standard stuff but unique non the less
Last edited by Jason on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer1825
Sergeant

Unread post by wanderer1825 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 pm

Nice stuff Jason,

I'm finding myself looking round second hand shops for old copies now.

Why is it still the best game of it's type after all this time?

You'd think some games company would want to take it further and make it better.
There would be a big demand for it if marketed correctly.

Tony

(UGF} Corporal Desola
Corporal

Unread post by (UGF} Corporal Desola » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:05 am

What I am about to say will amaze, maybe even shock.

I first came across H&D Deluxe on the internet for free (that was the only way I could find it), about year 2006/2007 and I saw how it advertised H&D2 so I spent about 2 years trying to find a copy of it, as I don't do anything serious online, such as banking or transactions, which I found in an Op-Shop for $5, I got it home and immediatly made an back up of it on my second hard-drive incase, as is sometimes your luck with second-hand CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs are pretty good though, the disks pack it in the second time you try and install.

So now theres an copy of the installation in a secure place that is guaranteed by the manufacture of the hard drive to last 5-10 years.

And Jayson, you know how you have an obsesion about collection cool H&D stuff, I have one about collection good 'ol program installs, I colllected the installations of QuickBASIC 4.5, QuickBASIC 7.1, Visual Basic 1.0 For MSDOS, Visual Basic 1.0 for Windows 3.1, TurboPASCAL 1.1 for Windows 3.1, Visual C++ 1.52 with Control Development Kit 1.0 (creates .VBX controls), Visual Basic 3.0, Visual Basic 4.0 Professional, Visual Basic 6.0, Panzer Elite, Panzer Elite Action, Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.0, BAO Flight Shop for Flight Simulator 5.0, Combat Flight Simulator 1.0, Combat Flight Simulator 2.0, Combat Flight Simulator 3.0, Battle of Britian (1998 version), European Air War, B-17 Flying Fortress (Original), B-17 Flying Fortress II: The Mighty Eigth, Destroyer Command, Slilent Hunter 2, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, IBM O/S 2, IBM O/S 2 Warp 4, Windows 95, Windows 98 SE (bought without CD-key, damn!), Encarter 95, Encarter 96, Encarter 97, Encarter 99, Trainz 2002, Trainz 2006, TuboCAD 10, TurboCAD 11, TurboCAD 12, TurboCAD Designer, 3DStudio Max 3.1... (Thats only the ones I can remember, I also have some Norton Antivirus versions aswell. Some bought new, some bought second-hand, and I found 3DS Max at an St. Vinnies store, lucky find that one.)

(hehehehe, who has the most computer programs, CDs and floppy disks now, LMAO).

I envy that Sabre Squadron box, hehehehehe, one obssesser to another.
Watch my personal text, it reveals how many days or how many kilobytes of code may pass before I'm seen on the forum and what I'm doing on those days; It's being as Zoolander would say "InFourMaTave in a small small way".

Heatseeker
Corporal

Unread post by Heatseeker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:42 am

Mah... boxes and more boxes and manuals.

I really loved H&D2 coop but the missions are scarce and linear, even if 2k czech started H&D3 after Mafia 2... we will all be very old by the time it ships :sad: .

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

wanderer1825 wrote: Nice stuff Jason,

I'm finding myself looking round second hand shops for old copies now.

Why is it still the best game of it's type after all this time?

You'd think some games company would want to take it further and make it better.
There would be a big demand for it if marketed correctly.

Tony
It is definitely a unique game. Nothing will beat the original. I would like to build on the engine when I can, I'm just a PHP programmer at the moment but C++ is on the list grin01

You certainly have a list their Desola :eek:
My partner has a collection of Windows versions which includes a Windows 2000 professional commemorative edition that was handed to Microsoft employees. Collecting software is a nerd thing :mrgreen:

"we will all be very old by the time it ships", heatseeker "have a little faith"

H&D3 will be great, my request is they make it ship with a big box like the old days :oops:

(UGF} Corporal Desola
Corporal

Unread post by (UGF} Corporal Desola » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 pm

The old saying, Good things come in Small packages doen't apply to software, the best always comes in Big Boxes, hell, all my favorite games came in big boxes (except H&DD, which I downloaded), B-17 II, European Air War and IL-2 Sturmovik (yes I bought a copy when it first came out in '03 sometime).

I only collect the installations from the CDs I buy, I don't actually look for the boxes or manuals, just the installs, so an Win2k Commemorative Edition, while definitly being worth something, is worth nothing to me, however I perfer to collect the Profession Editions of Software Development tools because they usually include more tools, such as the famed MKTYPLIB.EXE tool in the Visual Basic series.

Also, Jason, you might be interested in a rarely known game called Desert Rats (Not Desert Rats Vs. Afrika Korps), it had a similar touch to H&D but you were limited to an 3rd Person view of an Willys MB Jeep which you had drive arround in, you could select your gunner, and armament like Browning .50 Cal, Vickers K or the twin Vickers K, and the gunner could also use other items such as M1 Bazookas, .303s, M1928s or Grenades. Every campaign launches (Starts at) an Chevrolet 30cvt WA LRDG truck.

*No Multiplayer what so ever Though.*

It was so supported by it's authors that they didn't even bother to make an website for it, and compressed and encripted it's data, they only listed it as being able to be ordered online, I found my copy, Brand New, at an Electronics Beutique.

My Advice about C++, is get a collection of books on C first, about five will do, then upgrade to C++ or it could loose you as it did me, when I first read C++ for Dummies, the whole >, and * symbols got me, but when I did C, I understood perfectly.
Watch my personal text, it reveals how many days or how many kilobytes of code may pass before I'm seen on the forum and what I'm doing on those days; It's being as Zoolander would say "InFourMaTave in a small small way".

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:41 am

Would that game be this: http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/wwiide ... index.html

Thanks for the advice about C, I will definitely learn C first then. What are some good books?

The main reason for my collection is the boxes funny02 I suppose your collection is more practical than mine

(UGF} Corporal Desola
Corporal

Unread post by (UGF} Corporal Desola » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:06 am

Thats it.

Man, brings back memories of those days in the summer of '03, shootin' germans with me Vickers K, hehehehe.

As for good books on C, I don't know of any, because I have Visual C++ 1.51 and Dev-Cpp (Dev-C++), they, like all Microsoft and Bloodshed products include an reference on the language, but as usual, the Microsoft reference, is way way better than the Bloodshed reference, because it explains EVERYTHING in MSDN-like format (which takes some getting used to). So using those help files and C++ for Dummies I was able to go down a path which I would not recommend anyone to go down, and slowly 'work-out' C for myself, but my 8086 Assembly experience which came from the Turbo Assembler's User Guide and the NASM Manual, greatly helped with understanding programming as an whole not as just one language, yet everything you learn in Machine-Programming is corrupted by Internet Programming. This is because scripting is much more relaxed in the area of datatypes, where as an actual program can crash because it's Machine-Programming has an conflict with datatypes.

I wish you all the best on your quest, mate, and oneday you may very well think as I do, that building an game is soo lame, I rather play the games, and reserve my brain power for mathematical and engineering problems then simple program writing, thus my interest in Machine-Code, Assembly Language, Ciphers (not as in actually in encription, but Numerical Approximations), Trigonometry, Electronics, Free Masonry and History at the age of 17.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:16 am

Personally I doubt judge a game solely by the graphics but man that game has some nasty graphics for it's year. The gameplay must be very good to be playable. Was there a demo for it? or do I need to find a full version to play it?

I know of C and C++ books written by the same author that I originally learnt PHP through. He was very good at explaining it all, might as well give them ago. I do know of some differences between machine programming and internet programming such as compiling and data types. They'll probably be a new step to get use to but hopefully won't be any trouble.

I have no intention of being a games programmer, prefer the internet :mrgreen: I use to do hobby level design for H&D and Red Faction but yeah... to be honest not sure why I stopped funny02 Sounds like you have quiet the hobby list