Hidden and Dangerous MINIGAME

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Eclipse
Private

Re: Hidden and Dangerous MINIGAME

Unread post by Eclipse » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Hey guys!
Just wondering how development is going, as its been over 2 months since we last heard anything?
will be great to finally play this again.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Development has been slow but the project is still active. I don't want to get into any legal issues with Take 2 so I'm currently coming up with a different game story to base the game on.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Tylixon
Private

Unread post by Tylixon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Im Soo Glad 2 Hear That :), Ive Been Following This For Months, I Check 2-3 Times A Month Can't W8 2 See What Happens, Got 5-6 People Following 2 :)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Glad to hear there is a lot of interest in the project :mrgreen:

Does anyone remember much about the level/mission design of the maps, explain anything you remember or wish to see...

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 am

I've been learning Blender recently and how to work with 3D in Flash, which will probably be needed for the buildings and some scenery like trees. I may use 3d models for character design but still have it as 2d images. Of course the game will still be a 2d top-down game. I'm going to have a think about what kinds of items to add into the levels and post them shortly but suggestions are more than welcome thup01

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Jason - nice one for keeping the project going! In my view the games' simplicity made it so effective; so just things like simple building structures, trees varying in colour and size, a couple of lakes/rivers/bridges, tunnels, tents, rocks and pathways - letting strategy and team work being the key catalysts to win. You could build the maps to best suit the main strategies - med-knife, shoot and run then dynamite (plenty of escape paths, could make some quite narrow to make more dynamite effective), camouflage then knife, a few long pathways/rooms to make snipers effective.

Good luck!!

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for the ideas rambo99 thup01

Been looking into Flash Multiplayer game development using a PHP socket server (http://www.kilometer0.com/blog/code/php ... et-server/). Lots of lag on a local network, not good. Not a lot of information available on network programming. I'm on it though :cool: it could just be PHP being slow, will try to test out a Python socket server.

[Edit] After refreshing my memory about the gameplay, the lag should not be much of an issue due to the action time delay, it was probably created to solve the lag issue :P

I'll write up my alpha 0.01 version game document over the weekend and get back to work on the fog of war.

Progress! thup01
Last edited by Jason on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MorphDusseldorf
Private

Unread post by MorphDusseldorf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:30 am

Every few... years I google Junglewar to see if anybody's had any luck resurrecting it.  God did I love playing it and its successor. Well, tonight's search brought me here.  I noticed that you all were unsure who developed the game.  I remember that it was made by the same people who developed an ongoing game called The Violet Sector, which is turn based and I think text based as well (I tried to play it and it wasn't my cup of tea).  I forgot the developers actual name, but this is their website.  Hopefully somebody there can point you in the right direction.  Just trying to do my part!!

Also, an archived version of the JW site may help in recalling some old memories: http://web.archive.org/web/200304170111 ... toplay.php

And a pretty comprehensive strategy guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/webonly/917214- ... faqs/21504
Last edited by MorphDusseldorf on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you for the new information MorphDusseldorf :mrgreen: that will come in handy, the archive link you posted actually has a lot of other links in it that are available which is very handy.

MorphDusseldorf
Private

Unread post by MorphDusseldorf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 pm

No problem man!  Anything I can do to help.  I found an archived link to the H&D2 minigame,  but it obviously doesn't connect to the server.  Maybe it could be of some use - I have no idea how much gets downloaded locally in flash, and if you could somehow extract information/code from it.  Here it is, if it's of any help.

And the Dev's name was Wingee.  At the risk of sounding like a stalker this is his Youtube profile, if you need to contact him.  He's in that band Bohica on his profile, or something.
Last edited by MorphDusseldorf on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Downloading the file and decompiling the SWF would certainly be possible with the link you have provided, but I would never use the code or files for this project. That would be stealing and illegal. I'm a good boy :oops: At this point the server code is what I want any way :lol:

Again, Thanks for providing the link thup01, very surprised you found that! I'm off to... research grin01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:28 pm

MorphDusseldorf wrote:And the Dev's name was Wingee.  At the risk of sounding like a stalker this is his Youtube profile, if you need to contact him.  He's in that band Bohica on his profile, or something.
Checking my email, viewing some old information from someone else it appears that Wingee doesn't have the source code to the game any more and doesn't know anyone that has it. :| :cry: back to writing it myself.

Oh well! times have changed, security holes in Flash have been found and fixed by the millions? since then. Shit though.

Someone out there must have a copy of the source though, if it was posted on the Gathering forums as Lars told me tonight. *off topic* I think my avatar came from the Gathering forums originally :shock: 2004, so long ago!
Last edited by Jason on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Official H&D2 Mini Game help files:
// PAGE 1

Your character is displayed on the map circled in green. Every 5 seconds, you can perform an action, such as moving, attacking, etc. When you are able to perform an action your mouse cursor will become a ?hand?.When you are unable to perform an action the circle will turn red and a 'Action meter' on the right of your screen will count down until you are able to move again.

You will notice that you also have two range indicators: visible range, and attack range.

Your visible range is the area lit up in front of your character, and you share your visible range with other players on your team. You will only be able to see enemies within your teams visible area.

Your attack range is indicated by a red circle around your player. You can only attack enemies within that area.

Visibility:
You'll notice that your visible range is limited to the view in front of your character. Using the arrow keys on your computer keyboard you can rotate your character and the area they are viewing. Every character also carries binoculars to allow them to see a little further - using the up and down arrows allows you to change your visible range distance.

How often you can change your visibility is limited also - you are allowed to change your view every 3 seconds and this is indicated by the 'View meter' on the right of your screen next to the 'Action meter'.

Moving:
Click and drag your character around the map using the mouse. When you let go of the mouse button your character will move to that location. Your character will only move to that location if the terrain allows it, otherwise your character will snap back to it?s original location.

Other actions:
If you are carrying a gun or grenades and you see an enemy within your attack range you can click on the enemy character and a menu appears to allow you to attack them with either your gun or grenades. Likewise, if you have a medikit and wish to heal a friendly player, you need to move directly next to them, then click on their character and, again, a menu appears.

If you are carrying the Dynamite, you can click on your own character and a menu will appear to allow you to set an explosive in that location.
Dynamite are timed not to detonate for 30 seconds to allow all the friendly characters to move away.

// PAGE 2

Landing Zones and Extraction points
Some missions require you to reach an LZ or Extraction point. These areas are lit up on the map as soon as they become available. Get your character there to complete your mission!

Destroyable Objects
Some maps contain objects or bridges that you can destroy. These are likely to be objectives that you'll need to destroy to complete your mission. You will need to use dynamite to blow up these objects on the map.

Attack indicator
If you are attacked by an enemy, a red arrow indicating the direction of the enemy that attacked you will appear. This is especially important if there are a lot of enemies in your visible area so that you know which one is attacking you, or if a player is attacking you from outside of your visible area.

Visible area
As your character increases in skill, your characters ability to spot things improves and your visible area will also increase.

Skills
New characters start with each of their skills at level 1. As you acquire points by completing missions you will gain ranks. For each rank your character increases you will gain 2 skill points to distribute across your skills. The score required for each rank is as follows:
Level Score
1 0
2 20,000
3 50,000
4 90,000
5 150,000
6 240,000
7 370,000
8 550,000
9 800,000

Shooting skill
This applies to how well you fire guns. The better your shooting skill is, the more damage you will do to enemies when using a gun. With the sniper rifle, the pattern the target follows will simplify to make snipering easier.

Throwing skill
This applies to the use of grenades. If your throwing skill is low, when you attempt to throw a grenade at an enemy, the grenade my fall wide, short or long of the target. Improve your grenade throwing skill and your grenades are more likely to hit the target. Remember if your throwing skill is poor, you may even damage yourself if your grenade lands too close to you!!

Strength
When an enemy attacks you and your health falls to 0, your character becomes incapacitated. During this time a friendly player with a medikit can come and revive you before you die. Your strength determines how long you stay incapacitated before you die.

Stealth
Battlefield awareness. The ability to exploit the terrain and surroundings making detection by the enemy harder and, when detected, making targeting by the enemy more difficult.

// PAGE 3

Weapons and items
At the weapon select screen you can choose to carry a gun and an extra item into the mission. Some guns are too big and you can only carry them exclusively such as the Bazooka.

Ensure that somebody on your team is carrying the correct items to complete your mission. For example if your mission is destroy a bridge, make sure that somebody on your team is carrying dynamite.

It?s also a good idea to make sure at least one of your team is carrying a medikit.

Remember that if your character has a low throwing skill, grenades might not be the best thing to carry. If you are new to the game we recommend you take with you a gun and a medikit.

Sniper rifle
This weapon carries a scope which can be used to attack enemies at a distance. If done well you will be able to get an instant kill with a good shot! When the enemy is stationary click on them and you can aim your rifle. As the cross hair passes over the enemy you must click on them again when the cross hair is at the centre of their head.

If you do this accurately enough you will get an instant kill, otherwise you will merely graze them! You only have limited shots with the sniper rifle so practice often with it and you could become an excellent sniper.

Medikit
This item could make you the most indispensable player on your team. This allows you to heal yourself as well as other players after they have been attacked by the enemy.

Dynamite
These can be used to blow up objective items and also as an effective way of attacking the enemy. Setting dynamite and luring the enemy towards it can harm more than one of them as dynamite has a wide range of damage.

MorphDusseldorf
Private

Unread post by MorphDusseldorf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

God damn I can't believe he doesn't have the source code.  For JW and H&D?!?!?! These minigames are probably more successful than anything else he's done.

rambo 999
Private

Unread post by rambo 999 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 pm

hi there! just wondered if there was an update? :)

saw this link about an attempt at a junglewars remake a few years back, not sure if these guys could help out at all - the games seem pretty similar!