Getting disconnected from the server

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Ulyanov
Private

Getting disconnected from the server

Unread post by Ulyanov » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:43 am

Hello,
Could anyone tell me what is happening when a person gets disconnected (I don't mean booted or 'kicked') from the server? I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had this experience. You're playing just fine and then suddenly your shots no longer 'count' and nothing you do makes any difference in the game. You can get killed though. But the next time you're killed, you go into spectator mode 'limbo' and watch everyone else play but you never get back in the game. This used to happen to me now and then, but lately it's happening a lot and I have no idea what causes it or what I might do to avoid the problem. Any info or insight would be very much appreciated.

Drozdov
Major

Re: Getting disconnected from the server

Unread post by Drozdov » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 am

It's what's called the 'respawn bug', because in occupation mode often the first time you notice it is when you don't respawn after you get shot. I'm still not sure what causes it, sometimes I used to go through days where I'd get it every round, sometimes I go days without getting it at all. I've been told it's due to packet loss between you and the server - basically the information sending/receiving connection gets broken, and all that can be sent from you to the server is information on your movement. I was told this is because it's less complex than action/shooting/chatting data. I'm not sure if that's true myself, the technical basis sounds iffy but I don't know enough to form a counter theory.

It must be to do with the status of your internet connection, because that's the only explanation for why it happens some days and not others. But it's not bandwidth related as far as I can tell. I don't think there's anything to be done about it, my belief is that it's in the hands of your internet/phoneline company. The effect seems specific to H&D 2, never had similar problems in any other game, but I think the cause can only be related to internet connection issues. So all you can do is hope it's a good day.  :|
"Nothing is more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

[1st Fallschirmjager Division]

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 am

Just smash the keyboard and curse at the server admin then disconnect...
That is sure to fix your problem...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Ulyanov
Private

Unread post by Ulyanov » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks, Drozdov, that is exactly what I've experienced and what was my best guess as to what I can do about the problem.... i.e., nothing, or only at least 'hope that it's a good day'. It's a very strange situation but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who experiences it and also to know that there's not a damn thing I can do about it.  'C'est la vie'.