PC trouble, any help?

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Jason
Administrator

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:22 am

Hey all,

I have a pentium 4 1.6ghz, 576RAM, Geforce2 MX 200, latest nvidia drivers, directx9c, NO winxp service packs and the pc in question is NOT on the internet. I have recently tried multiple drivers, a reinstall, dealt with heat issues. Looked on multiple forums, done multiple searches and found ZERO fixes.

Any game, UT2k4, Hidden & Dangerous 2, UT2k3, Swat4... anything like that.

They all freeze, UT2k3 freezes after you click for the game to begin, H&D2 freezes randomly, UT2k4 freezes on nvidia logo (start page), Swat4 freezes on menu screen. They all show red or orange lines on the right hand side of the screen.

Sometimes the pc will restart itself and windows will report a critical error. Also Unreal Tournament 2k3, 2k4 start in safe mode.

PLEASE HELP :cry:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:00 am

Thats your GF MX 200, MX = budget.

Dont bother using the latest drivers as they are not designed for that 90 year old card. Do a search and roll back to the most optimal MX 200 drivers. Also its not a DX9C card so use an earlyer version of DX. Even then the games might not run as I dont even think they support the MX 200.

I recommend just getting a new card. Im pretty sure its a grafix issue becuz you said the pc restarts itself and gives a windows error. If it was a firewall or your sound freezing you up that wouldnt happen.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:00 pm

Thank you for the nice comments about my GF2, I replaced it with my TNT2 32megs :twisted: WOOT H&D2 CHOP CHOP CHOP :cry:

I'll dig through the nvidia site. The GF2 works fine with H&D2, always has and thats directx9. Think it may have become damaged when swapping them around with the family pc.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:29 pm

I used to have a TNT2 32....

And yeh I think DX9 should be fine just not 9.0C. Try A or B. I think B is more stable personally.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

magnet
Private

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by magnet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:18 pm

Hi Jason

Considering the symptoms you describe I'd say your GF2 is toast.
Random but frequent crashes and lines/dots etc usually indicate that the card is overheating or has been exposed to excessive heat.

I just trashed a GF4 ti4600 a month ago - same symptoms.

I could advice you to look at bios other drivers tec. but considering athat you can pick up an FX5700, Radeon9600 at 100-150USD I'd try replacing the GF2 before spending too much time on other possible issues.

Good luck.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Yes, get a new card and you shouldnt have to worry! :P

But I dont think your MX is toasted, I think you just need to find the rite set of drivers for your machine.

KoD
Corporal

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by KoD » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:18 pm

well... Jason at this point of the stage you might want to consider overhalling your system and get your self a decent PC.

NVidia just released latest cards GeForce 7800, though expensive but it will last you 3years or so.

Lars
Commando

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by Lars » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:22 pm

Better get an gf 6800 .. they will getting cheaper these days and the are avaivable for pcix & agp

Jason
Administrator

PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by Jason » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:48 pm

Well thanks for all the comments guys. I will get my self a new pc soon enough but keeping my old one because I like a lot of older games. They just don't make them like they use too... what happened to the gameplay!!! :roll:

geosouv
Lieutenant

Re: PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Jason wrote: They just don't make them like they use too... what happened to the gameplay!!! :roll:
Oh man, you can say that again. Yes, today it's all about the bloody money. No passion for the work, just 4-5 hours of Single player and then a bit of multiplayer and that's it. no_01 Today's games are truly unacceptable. Take Modern Warfare for example. 5 hours of SP gameplay? Excuse me? Say it again. Is this a joke? It's all about chasing the damn dime no_02 . What happened to games like Unreal, Soldier of Fortune 2, Deus Ex? No one knows, it's all history. Well I have something to say to those stingy companies: Lower the cost or make the games bigger and of better quality or it just ain't worth the PC upgrade at all. And what's all this bullshit in the latest Call of Duty games that all of a sudden Russians are the bad guys? I thought in Call of Duty 1 they were the good guys. It seems their brains are a mess. From messages of nation fraternization to cold war hatred. What's next: The Battle against developing countries or how to kill a Brazilian? Oh, I shouldn't give them ideas now should I? :lol:
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Duke0196
Captain

Re: PC trouble, any help?

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:45 pm

geosouv wrote:What's next: The Battle against developing countries or how to kill a Brazilian? Oh, I shouldn't give them ideas now should I? :lol:
Gee, wasn't some of that covered by the Ghost Recon games already?