Recreating Hidden & Dangerous

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
James
Corporal

Re: Recreating Hidden & Dangerous

Unread post by James » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:57 am

Well, at this stage we're looking at using CryEngine3, the same engine used for Crysis 3. It so far the best we've found that is available to us right now. thup01

betteryouthanme
Lieutenant

Unread post by betteryouthanme » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 pm

James wrote:Well, at this stage we're looking at using CryEngine3, the same engine used for Crysis 3. It so far the best we've found that is available to us right now. thup01
Maybe you can work together with the lads from TractionWars, which is a tactical ww2 multiplayer game also based on CryEngine3.
http://www.tractionwars.com

Not sure how it would go together but at least the models would be already there..

James
Corporal

Unread post by James » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:22 am

Mmm, okay, I'll think about it. Right now all I'd really like from you guys is ideas and input as to what you want to see in the game. If you wish to write story lines and mission scripts, then go for it. But please understand that we can't chop and change what game engine we're planning on using just yet, you see, me and brother, who is into game development, have already made some big plans for actual development, we're currently in the R & D phase. Final planning will be completed early next year and development will get underway as soon as June next year, and we're already talking to a copyright lawyer to make sure that the copyright transfer goes smoothly. But thanks for the suggestion. Keep up thinking up ideas, as all will be considered. As all ideas you've submitted and are going to submit are appreciated, I must tell that as of January next year, no more ideas will accepted as our design team will be taking over. Thanks for your input, and if you come up with something else in the next month or so, be sure to let me know.

betteryouthanme
Lieutenant

Unread post by betteryouthanme » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:27 am

definitely would like to see a compass feature. For better orientation.

Also on map maybe you could display the enemy position in case on of your team members reported vc. Just for a few seconds at the place where he's been seen last. But maybe that's also better to communicate with voice chat, not sure.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Spectator mode, in multiplayer. It would help server admins and etc. .

I was also thinking about explosives. What if, instead of (or along with) a timed explosive, you could use larger, wired explosives. You would equip it like any other weapon, then 'fire' to lay down the explosive itself, but then you have to run the wire to a safe spot (which limits your speed.. and distance you can go) and 'fire' again to detonate the explosives.

One thing that I'm not too sure about is a 'cover system', like in games such as BIA:HH. On one hand, it makes the game look more 'organic', but on the other hand I often get stuck in cover because I try to move naturally, but I am constrained to the wall. This might not go well in this type of game, considering the game focuses on stealth and speed.

What might work is if it is sort of automatic, so if you are right up against a wall, you 'lean' on it, but you are not constrained to the wall at all. Of course, this would mostly be aesthetics, so It is up to you ant everybody else.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:01 pm

jacobston wrote: EDIT: I'm wondering what Jason has to say about this, I know he mentioned 'prototyping' something a while ago but as far as I know it could just be snakes and ladders :lol:
Sorry for the absence, was employed at a horrible place, had very little free time!

But yes, my prototype was getting H&D Deluxe into Unity, relatively easy by the looks of it. I ran into trouble with the models when importing the animations into Unity. I was really just looking to port the game so it could be later extended.

There are many practical reasons why I was going to use Unity but CryEngine is very nice, just a bit hardcore, requiring C++ grin01

James
Corporal

Unread post by James » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 am

Thank you thank you and again thank you gentlemen. Sorry, I've been out of internet data for the last few days. I like all the suggestions I see, so perhaps we'll be using them all. But please understand that even the largest games have limitations. We may be looking to break such limitations, but still, we have to be realistic. I'll be monitoring this post until January next year, so if you still have more suggestions, please get them in before January 1.

Oh, and by the way Jason, CryEngine is very hardcore, but no worries, we've got the C++. The new H&D game isn't exactly for children, you know, war is ugly. Also bare in mind Jason, it is illegal to modify any video game, movie or other media without copyright permission, that's why we're going about all legally on our end at least. All the best :grin:

Stern
Lieutenant

Unread post by Stern » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:57 pm

I have some ideas.
*First, the spectator mode. infact, first Call of Duty has perfect spectator mode where spectator can choose to move around freely (something like "noclip") or select to cycle through all players individual views, by clicking mouse button (something like third person view).
This option ofcourse should be useable only with Admin login.
*Second thing is what i liked in Sniper Elite, it was tripwire grenades that can be set as an exploding trap to the ground, but the infantry mines in HD2 are not bad at all. (only sometimes when enemy is moving very slowly they can move over the mines)
*And i like jacobston idea for military base, i think Medal of Honor - Paciffic Assault had something like that.

I'm familiar with programming and i know that project like this is not an easy task to finish.
Click Here !

James
Corporal

Unread post by James » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello Stern, thank you for your ideas. Assistance will be appreciated, so if you're interested. Thanks again :grin:

Stern
Lieutenant

Unread post by Stern » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I think I can not help you with C++ ,
I'm still learning pascal (to use with Delphi) and more advanced with vbscript (most of programs i have made for HD2 are coded in vbscript) and very basic knowlage of javascript.

Something more came to my mind:

*Flamethrower that was left out from HD2. in ww2 it was very effective to clear bunkers and might be deadly to the one who was carryng it and everyone around.
*Somekind of smoke grenade and tear gas grenade. Maybe even able to fire them with rifle.

*Some way to carry equipment with vehicle. In some reserved space or maybe using available space for players.(when 4 seat vehicle is fully loaded with equipment then it has space for only 2 players...something like that)
Click Here !

James
Corporal

Unread post by James » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks again Stern. Flamethrowers will definitely be included, so will smoke and gas grenades, and even the German chemical grenade, as well as rifle grenades.

All of the suggestions and assistance from everyone here at the forum have been very much appreciated. Copyrighting will completed soon and actual development will begin shortly.

As of the today (January 2, 2015) this post can be considered closed. No more suggestions will accepted as we wish to now consolidate our final game designs and scripts. Thank you all once again. Have a very blessed new year! :grin:

betteryouthanme
Lieutenant

Unread post by betteryouthanme » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:08 am

Great thup01
Just make another HD2 with some better graphics (not necessarily for me) and some more advanced tactical options for a better teamplay.

I also liked the idea of the tactical mode from HD2 singleplayer. Sadly it has become too complicated to use..

James
Corporal

Unread post by James » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Well then, it's time to dig in! nods01

betteryouthanme
Lieutenant

Unread post by betteryouthanme » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:08 pm

finnlayer
Corporal

Unread post by finnlayer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 am

I like to help, i can do many things with good tools.

When ever their is a kick start to another title i'll pop to were the source is at and have a challenge for a wicked new game.