Unable to run on Vista

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Mark Spencer
Private

Unable to run on Vista

Unread post by Mark Spencer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi All,

I cannot (annoyingly) get H&D 1 to run on my Windows Vista Laptop.

The system has the following specs:

- Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0 Build 6002)
- Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz (2 CPUs). ~2.3GHz
- 4090MB RAM
- DirextX 11
- NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

I have tried installing v1.2 and v1.3 of the patch and various combinations of the compatability modes but it just does not seem to work. At best, I get up to the start of the first mission and it hangs after a few seconds.

Can somebody please help me as I really want to play this brilliant game over the long weekend here.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Mark

Jason
Administrator

Re: Unable to run on Vista

Unread post by Jason » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:49 am

Hi and welcome to the forums Mark,

I've tested the original H&D on my laptop, first using the 1.2 version and the game locked up in C1M1 just before the first enemies. After that I updated to 1.3 using this patch: http://hidden-and-dangerous.net/files/h ... /hd1_3.rar and it worked. Played C1M1 and some C1M2 and it ran fine on Vista - no compatibility mode needed. However I have a onboard graphics card (intel integrated).

Your issue could be driver related as I have had a lot of issues with the originals on XP (normally crashing during the splash screens at the start) when using newer graphics cards. Try changing the drivers to newer or older and play around with compatibility mode.

Hope this helps! if all else fails you can try H&D Deluxe.

Mark Spencer
Private

Unread post by Mark Spencer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi and thanks for the welcome Jason,

I tried that patch with no compatibility and it keeps hanging. Do I just open the link below and extract it to where the game is installed?

I have the latest drivers for my graphics (I think). How can I change the drivers to older? And I think that I have tried every compatibility mode there is.

Will H&D Deluxe work with Vista?

Kind regards,

Mark

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:19 pm

For the patch, yeah you just copy the files into the directory.

Okay, best to go to the nvidia website and make sure you have the latest. They added some features to better support older games running with Direct X 6 a while back. To install old drivers just uninstall the nvidia drivers (from Control Panel > Programs and Features) you have and it will rollback to the default drivers - from there you can install older drivers but update them first before you try this. I wouldn't recommend it unless you only want to play H&D for a while.

H&D Deluxe will work on Vista but it has some issues as well, not as many though.

Hope that helps! be sure to upgrade to the 260+ series drivers first if you don't have them already.

Mark Spencer
Private

Unread post by Mark Spencer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I downloaded H&D Deluxe and (yes!) it seems to work fine! (touch wood!)

What are the issues with H&D Deluxe and is there any way I could update the faces?

Also, are Devil's Bridge and Fight For Freedom the same add on on different.

Thank you ever so much Jason!

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:35 pm

There are just some graphic driver issues as far as I know, it runs fine most of the time though. There is no way to update the faces though which is a big issue everyone dislikes about it. And yes Fight for Freedom (which is Devil's Bridge) is included, the icons for the campaigns are on the right side of the main campaign selection menu screen.

No worries, good luck and have fun thup01