Movie: Return from the River Kwai

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Duke0196
Captain

Re: Movie: Return from the River Kwai

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 am

Jason wrote:The Next Mission is really bad, the script for Lee Marvin is like almost exactly the same during the first half of the film. I have seen some of the others but not all, forgot which ones I saw back in early 2000. I am yet to see the The Wild Geese, but the cast is a good one.
I know I saw "The Next Mission" but can't remember it. I guess it didn't stick. I do have "The Dirty Dozen" on DVD.
Jason wrote:Yeah I only have the Longest Day, which is the best quality Blu-ray I have seen. It's a totally new movie in full HD, but I love that movie no matter what :cool: The black & white is just beautiful to look at, I'd like to see other B&W movies at this quality.
Interesting. I was just discussing "The Longest Day" (TLD) on a Deadly Dozen forum earlier today. (You already know I also mess around with DD2. Heck, they even have H&D Deluxe as a download). :lol:

Anyway, one the guys made a mission about Pegasus Bridge which is in COD1 and, of course, TLD. While checking out some Youtube clips ... someone uploaded some clips from a colorized version. Heck, I did not even know they had made a colorized version. It looks nice but naturally there were comments from others that they should not have mucked around with it. Comments like ... "it was filmed in B&W and should only be seen in B&W."
Jason wrote:I refuse to watch that "Australia" movie, the trailer was bad enough! no_02 Only good movie Huge Jackman has done is Swordfish grin01
Border's a local book & video chain closed down a few months ago and they were dropping prices big time. I happened to be wandering around when they dropped prices from 70% to 80% off. So I figured why not. Yeah, I know its not the best but it goes to show you the extremes since I miss Oz so much. :lol:
Jason wrote:The 50th anniversary is coming up, so they better hurry up!
Hey, that's true. I'm sure there will be all sort of special editions.
Jason wrote:Yeah I saw that one in the list he did, will have to watch that - have you seen it Duke?
Yes, I saw "The Sea Wolves." Its a bit different all right. Took a while to really get moving. Well, at least, that is why I thought. I think being SOE ... Roger Moore thought he was back to playing Bond ... espionage and trying to bed the woman. The DVD cover, however, would lead you to think differently about the movie. It shows both Niven & Moore in German uniforms which never happens. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081470/
Jason wrote: Gregory Peck and David Niven, who are they? were they famous or something? :P I'm 26 but I love older movies.
Oh funny. I forget I'm over twice your age and spent nearly as long in the Navy as you've been alive ... and I've been out since the 1990's. :roll:

Another title I just recognized was "Ffolkes" (yes, with double F) or "North Sea Hijack" (UK title) but I saw that many years ago. Another slow starter if I remember correctly. Roger Moore is the lead in this one and by coincidence ... Jack Watson (the guy who played CPL Peacock in "The Devil's Brigade" is also in this one.

That makes 3 films that Moore & Watson worked together ... "The Wild Geese" (1978), "Ffolkes" (1979), and "The Sea Wolves" (1980) ... and all under Director Andrew V. McLaglen.