Medals and decorations

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
geosouv
Lieutenant

Medals and decorations

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi,

Do you feel proud of yourself when you see one of your men get a promotion or an important medal, say for gallantry in action? I certainly do, especially when they get medals for doing something courageous. I say, there is our hero for the day (more like for the mission) ;)
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Duke0196
Captain

Re: Medals and decorations

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:58 am

geosouv wrote:Hi,
Do you feel proud of yourself when you see one of your men get a promotion or an important medal, say for gallantry in action? I certainly do, especially when they get medals for doing something courageous. I say, there is our hero for the day (more like for the mission) ;)
Everyone wants to see their personnel excel. The level of your pride should be determined on how well you actually cared for the individual. Hopefully that person was able to excel due to your leadership and development; but you should also be honest with yourself. Some folks will still excel without your aid.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:22 am

Yes the medals and decorations were a nice touch to H&D2, the ability to increase your soldiers skills is great. Sometimes I'd be surprised by the increase and other times disappointed despite my best efforts so I am not sure how accurate it is :lol: not like the game is bug free ;)

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 am

Jason wrote:Yes the medals and decorations were a nice touch to H&D2
I wonder if they got that idea from Ghost Recon? Don't hit me Jason.
Jason wrote:the ability to increase your soldiers skills is great. Sometimes I'd be surprised by the increase and other times disappointed despite my best efforts so I am not sure how accurate it is :lol: not like the game is bug free ;)
Well, whether accurate or not, it was more realistic than GR1's. In GR1 you could assign the gained experience points but H&D2 improved your soldier's abilities based on what he actually did. Whether he was shooting, sneaking around, healing himself, picking locks, etc. Though I never did notice if a soldier's shooting ability went down.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 am

Duke0196 wrote:I wonder if they got that idea from Ghost Recon? Don't hit me Jason.
lol :lol: I won't, I hope they steal some ideas from GRAW2 ;) the squad controls are much easier to use. H&D2 squad controls are... they need improving. They were good for back in 2003 but there have been much better game mechanics since then.
Duke0196 wrote:Well, whether accurate or not, it was more realistic than GR1's. In GR1 you could assign the gained experience points but H&D2 improved your soldier's abilities based on what he actually did. Whether he was shooting, sneaking around, healing himself, picking locks, etc. Though I never did notice if a soldier's shooting ability went down.
Yeah I don't like the RPG bullshit mechanic of assiging your own upgrades. If you use a skill, it should improve. If you don't use a skill why should it upgrade? H&D2 did a good job with the system. Let's hope it continues.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Jason wrote:
Duke0196 wrote:I wonder if they got that idea from Ghost Recon? Don't hit me Jason.
lol :lol: I won't, I hope they steal some ideas from GRAW2 ;) the squad controls are much easier to use. H&D2 squad controls are... they need improving. They were good for back in 2003 but there have been much better game mechanics since then.
I liked GR1 but .. I didn't make the jump to GRAW. I tried the demo and didn't care for it. I just read the wikipedia's entry on GRAW2 and it says "The PC version gameplay is vastly different from the console iterations, and plays out more similar to the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon." I am downloading the demo to give it a try and also check out what you mean about the GRAW2 controls.

Edit: Just took a quick look at the GRAW2 demo. I can definitely see how the controls would be great for an H&D3 release. The hover-and-click deployment reminds me a bit of Brothers in Arms. Maybe that's where they got the idea since RTH30 came out 2 years earlier.
Last edited by Duke0196 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Jason wrote:Yeah I don't like the RPG bullshit mechanic of assiging your own upgrades. If you use a skill, it should improve. If you don't use a skill why should it upgrade? H&D2 did a good job with the system. Let's hope it continues.
Totally agree with you there. And likewise your ability should be related to your proficiency.

Remember H&D clone Deadly Dozen 2 : Pacific Theatre?

Though stuck with the same skill level throughout the game (at least I can't remember them increasing) ... capabilities were expanded. Aside from some of the obvious name changes from H&D: Toughness (Endurance), Infiltration (Stealth & Lockpicking), Medicine (First Aid); instead of H&D's one stat for Shooting they broke it into various categories of weapons proficiency. Blades (Knives, Machetes, Samurai Swords), Sidearms (which included Pistols & Carbines), Rifles, MGs, Sniping, Grenades, Explosives, Flamethrower. Strength wasn't a category but the maximum allowable was listed during load-out. You could carry more ... but tire faster ... and your soldier would actually stop to catch his breathe.

Anyway, laying explosives was free-flow like H&D (not placing it on a designated spot like H&D2) so the better the proficiency the better the result. I messed up one time and brought some great stealthy shooters but very lousy demo men. Ultimately ran out of explosives and the bridge was still standing. Bugger. Time to re-pick the team.