Sabre Squadron question

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: Sabre Squadron question

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:47 am

Both are good, as I was just imagining they were part of the same unit you encounter in Czech 6, and the briefing is just assuming they were partisans that destroyed the track.

I think that was the original idea; if you look at the beginning of the texty, the Lighthouse operation was set separately from Blade Dancer. It was probably another "lone" diving operation. For as far back as I could remember, I have had my dates set at June5 and June11 for these missions. I meant though, what dates do you think are appropriate for the Liberator operation.

If it is in the north, but if it is in the south, like it is supposed to be, wouldn't it be the 2nd UF? It's commander was renowned for penetration. :mrgreen: thup01

What I forgot, when I suggested it was better in the north, was that the damn bunker faces to the south and there is a fourteen hour gap between Czech 5 and 6, which points back to the south. funny02

Or you know it could just be that the same people sending us here are the same sending the Soviets. Some alien future conspiracy. That would be how we get the KGB F21 prototype in 1942.
Capt. Stirling wrote: its not beyond the stretch of imagination to say that an action like this in such a chaotic situation could happen.
This was my point. :lol:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Pretty much everything we've discussed is debating what the creator of the texty and Illusion originally designed. So modifications can be made in some of the dates and locations to depict something perhaps even more specific or historically immersing.

The Cousen Fortress is fictional and could even be located in the Mediterranean. Its inclusion in the Overlord campaign however suggests that it rests at west end of the Channel. In the original texty, Blade Dancer was put in May 11. I've retitled all the operations code names and I've separated missions like Lighthouse and Blade Dancer. I'm actually only using their original names for reference.

The dates for the Liberator mission are fine, I was originally cautious about the locations. After all it is a game and so some imagination is to be expected (and for us within the realm of plausibility). And I did state that I changed my position  wink01
Or you know it could just be that the same people sending us here are the same sending the Soviets. Some alien future conspiracy. That would be how we get the KGB F21 prototype in 1942.
  funny02 Image
Are you a Russian history enthusiast?  grin01 Not a rhetorical question.

Well the NKVD units operated independent of the Army command structure and could press on or receive orders from Beria/Moscow or local NKVD commands. The NKVD unit, could press on and cut miles ahead of the main advance if they were small enough and traveled routes with minimal activity. They wouldn't need rely on the main front to cut through unless the German front line was impenetrable and concentrated.
Last edited by Capt. Stirling on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Capt. Stirling wrote: Are you a Russian history enthusiast?
No, why?

Capt. Stirling wrote:The Cousen Fortress is fictional
I remember finding something on the Cousen Fortress years ago.

I was pretty sure that "Operation Overlord", is just us deployed in support of it. So where we are needed, we go.
KGB F21 prototype
Can you explain it better? :mrgreen:
Capt. Stirling wrote:Well the NKVD units operated independent of the Army command structure and could press on or receive orders from Beria/Moscow or local NKVD commands. The NKVD unit, could press on and cut miles ahead of the main advance if they were small enough and traveled routes with minimal activity. They wouldn't need rely on the main front to cut through unless the German front line was impenetrable and concentrated.
This was the basis of my argument! Except for them being able to cut through, what you are adamant about, would have been US lines in that area, on the 5th. :)
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 pm

No... I can't, which is why I thought your explanation was not only funny but sufficed.  funny02 thup01

I asked the question since it takes a keen eye to spot that the camera model is the F21. I myself had to look up the model you were speaking of since I don't command a knowledge base of Cold War Soviet spy equipment. 

I get the Overlord case. However I gave it a different name as while it may be under the Overlord umbrella, it would have a more specific code name.

I should have said I haven't found evidence of a Cousen fortress. If you could show me otherwise that would be nifty!

Right I understood your argument for defending the game's original locale. It was just improbable at first glance since the Third Army was there by the dates given, and when they weren't it would need to be a pretty fast moving and inconspicuous NKVD team (much like ours) to navigate German held territory without an ISU. If the team was operating in late April, first three days of May in the Sumava, it needs to be very light. But by May 6-8 even postwar its plausible with an armored vehicle. 
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Actually, I don't either, I am not into the Soviets, I pretty much hate the Soviets. Though I don't use terms like "commie bastards" to describe them, it is not those ideals that bother me about them. I had been trying to identify that camera for a while, I finally asked my wife for help and she nailed it in like five minutes... frown01

The F21 was just the final model, it has it's origins during WW2 (which is the only reason I still play the camera levels funny02), it would have been a prototype of the MF1. Being Soviet, is not a stretch that we have it, but was it "physically impossible," in late 1942? Sadly I think so. From the information I can gather, the UFA manufactured during the war at a factory founded in 1942, succeeded by the UFA MF1, which I believe was also Ajax 9, which would have been in 1949, the Ajax 10 in 1950, and the F21, also an Ajax, in 1951.

The camera in the game, most resembles the F21, but it has three large nobs on the top, each version of the F21 that I have seen, each type has only one large nob, two smaller and a lever. So, while likely just a modeling deformity, it leaves room for me to wonder if it is a version I have not seen. Lack of information gives me more room to imagine.

The knobs on the model in game, most resemble the knob on the MF1; Ajax 1 through 8, if they exist, are missing from my research. Any of these could have been a step in the direction of the F21. A camera like this would be available to the developers I believe, or it could just be something else that the Soviets copied pretty well.

You do remember the Easter egg on Africa 1? With the portal from the future, men with lucha libre masks come through and attack you with MP/StG 43/44s. :mrgreen: I have already known what HD3 is gonna be about. tongue01 funny01

I know, I tried to find something earlier on it, but I couldn't. I am pretty sure that I did a few years back. It would have been a more extensive search.
Capt. Stirling wrote:I meant units from the 1st Ukrainian Army Group not Front. The 1st, 2nd and 4th UF were under that command.
I am also confused by this, The Soviet "Fronts", were their "Army Groups." The 1st Front, was the 1st Army Group by our terms. So each did not fall under a single Army Group, each was a separate Army Group. The 1stUF was to the North, the 2ndUF to the south, and the 4thUF to the East, of Prague at the time.
Last edited by -ViTaMiHnM203- on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.