Hidden and Dangerous 3 Myth or Reality

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Sergeant

Hidden and Dangerous 3 Myth or Reality

Unread post by 2k » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 am

Just found this link, what you think about it?
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hidden-dangerous-3/

Seems its old post cos
"Developer: Illusion Softworks" not 2k games...

Jason
Administrator

Re: Hidden and Dangerous 3 Myth or Reality

Unread post by Jason » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:37 am

That is a very old link, they created that page when H&D2 was released. IGN also have a page. There has been no official or unofficial (that I know of) announcement for H&D3. It is assumed they would continue the series, why wouldn't they? My guess is they will release 2 other games first, one being Mafia 2 and the other "Moscow Rhapsody", then we might hear about H&D3.

H&D3 will come, give them time to make the high quality game we all love.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Jason,
Are you sure H&D3 will come? I wish that but I consider it highly unlikely.
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 am

I'm not sure. I don't think 2k Czech, aka Illsuion Softworks have ever really cared about their fan bases. Otherwise they would communicate with them. I know that members of those companies did communicate with some of use on a personal level but those discussions were obviously never public. Illusion Softworks really fucked up their own company with the dreadful development of Mafia 2 and the stupid desire to capture the console market. I think 2k Czech might be dead now, you dont fire 1/4 to 1/3 of your work force for no reason. If they are working on a project it's either something new or H&D3 but from what I have heard Take 2 didn't consider H&D2 a success at the time. They would need a cross platform game and H&D3 would not be a cross platform game. I don't know if Mafia 2 was a success or not, lots of people were disappointed but looking back (and playing it again) it's really a good game. The amount of cuts from the game is devastating. But yeah, that's in the past. They could be working on Mafia 3 using the same engine in a desperate attempt to get some money but eh.

I want H&D to continue but if that means all we get from now on are more clones like Deadly Dozen then at least that would be something. The whole squad based tactical shooter genre needs something and something big to bring it back.

H&D3 I don't know, I don't want a console port, I'd rather wait another 3-5 years while the consoles are deemed dead. Some companies are moving back to primary PC development, thank goodness.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Another thing that really hurt the H&D series is it wasn't easily modded like other games ... no editor. Even now some of our members are still trying to crack the code. I worked on a few mods for Ghost Recon and it was a piece of cake in comparison. Even without the editor you could replace textures, sound files, edit a few text files, etc and you had a whole new weapons or uniforms mod. 10 years later guys are still releasing new mods for GR1. The same goes for the Deadly Dozen series. I never did DD1 but it is very easy to change things in DD2 to create your own mods.

GrumpyMushroom
Private

Unread post by GrumpyMushroom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 pm

This is such a shame as this game would be amazing with todays standards of technology.Pity that all the manufacturers want to feed us are post apocolyptic scenarios or WW3 end games.The WW2 genre has so much yet to offer with so many campaigns and scenarios that it could be unlimited but no one seems to want to pick up on this and think they are flogging a dead horse.H&D 3 could be so refined with the same kind of squad based set up being able to switch from one to another..ensuring Coop as standard and with updated graphics an sounds making the game so intense with atmosphere......i could go on but i really dont think we will ever see H&D3 angry01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 am

To be honest, I just want a really good adult WW2 tactical shooter game. Squad based would be awesome.

Something that always bothered me about Hidden and Dangerous is the lack of being hidden :shock: There needs to be a greater stealth focus on the game. The action needs to be more tactical driven as well, you should risk failing a mission dramatically if you use the wrong tactic, that just isn't in the game.

I've lost a fair amount of faith in Take 2, 2k Games and 2k Czech. Chances are they are working on Mafia 3 with what they have left of their development team. To try an get some money out of that game engine they made. The people that made H&D1 have all gone, the main people behind H&D2 (and my fav H&D2 SS) have all gone. So who is 2k Czech? I don't know and I honestly don't care any more. Hopefully, some of the old guys, where ever they are in whatever small studio make some sort of H&D clone.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Jason wrote:To be honest, I just want a really good adult WW2 tactical shooter game. Squad based would be awesome.

Something that always bothered me about Hidden and Dangerous is the lack of being hidden :shock: There needs to be a greater stealth focus on the game. The action needs to be more tactical driven as well, you should risk failing a mission dramatically if you use the wrong tactic, that just isn't in the game.
That is basically the way the game is. When you say squad based, do you mean having about 10 AI? Sure you can fight your way out of trouble in HD2, but that is not unrealistic. I could think of a few "wrong tactics" that get you killed or fail the mission in HD2.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 pm

IF another hidden and Dangerous Game is ever released, designed, dreamed, spontaneously falls to earth through a wormhole from the farthest reaches of the Universe, I personally think that each individual Campaign should take place on a really big map, and you are given a few Ultimate Objectives that you must plan a few missions to complete before extraction. If you complete all of your objectives, you are rewarded - if you do not, you are punished in some way (I am thinking something like a robot hand that comes out of your computer and hits you). That is,if another hidden and Dangerous Game is ever released, designed, dreamed, spontaneously falls to earth through a wormhole from the farthest reaches of the Universe.
What i would like to see from any game at all, would be a game similar to HD2 (in game-play), about the LRDG, with a campaign like in Silent Hunter III or IV, so each in each mission you must get behind enemy lines, complete a few objectives, and return to base. (With renown rewarded (for things like destroying enemy supplies, or capturing soldiers or equipment) that you can spend on different vehicles or specialized weapons.)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 am

I was thinking about this the other night (and have many times before :P) that having the whole campaign (remember there are multiple campaigns) play out in an open world with consequences to your actions, such as doing side quests or being silent make it easier to complete later missions in the campaign. That would greatly increase replay value as well.

They tried to do a bit of this in H&D2 but imagine how great they could make it now :shock:

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 am

What I have also been thinking of, on the same lines as the open world idea, there could be other allied commando units in the same area, using troops from the same roster (for some campaigns, anyway). For example, If you do a mission in a region, and one of your secondary objectives is to eliminate an enemy Armor unit or an ammunition dump, failure to do so could result in the other unit getting attacked and people getting killed off the roster. At the same time, If you find your unit in trouble, you could possibly ask for assistance from another nearby unit, and the other way around.
Another Idea is a mission planning phase before the team selection window, where you are given different objectives to choose from, depending on the number of units operating in the area. For instance, if the campaign took place in near Vagsoy, in Norway, there could be multiple different Units operating, and you could choose between attacking perhaps a harbor, an ammo dump, or maybe a small town. meanwhile, in a smaller raid where it is just you, your options are limited. You could also have the ability to call for air or fire support before the mission (depending on the circumstances,) and say what time you need the aircraft to arrive or the bombs to fall. (sort of like M1 tank platoon II)

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:33 pm

That sounds awesome. They could really do some amazing things with todays technology if they tried.

I don't think events should happen in the background but that would be tricky to do with simultaneous missions. It would suck to lose some men off the roster because you weren't there to control them or over see the mission. The connected missions / consequences is something that really hasn't been done in a WW2 game.

I want to see these ideas in action!