Hi everybody :)

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
Duke0196
Captain

Re: Hi everybody :)

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:18 am

geosouv wrote:Sternjaeger, where did you get all these antique guns?
George, this topic is 2 1/2 years old and Sternjaeger hasn't visited since March 2009 so doubtful you'll get a response from him.
geosouv wrote: Tell us more about the M1 Garand's recoil, it's feel (wood and metal)
Since I have never shot Airsoft, I wouldn't know how to compare it to that. What other weapons have you used?

I never fired the M1 but my dad used it during the war and he said it was heavy and had a big kick. Then again he was 160 cm. :lol: I used the M14 which was actually heavier but the kick was said to be less than the M1. The M16 was a piece of cake even at full auto though I still preferred my M14 for long distance. Finally, I used to own an M1 carbine which kicked less than the "16."

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Duke,

You are absolutely right. I was very excited to find an experienced gun fun so I didn't look at the dates. I always forget to look at the dates. funny01 Anyway, I have never fired a real gun, since as I said before, the laws are very strict here in Greece. Despite that, I have taken an M4 into my hands (I think it was an M4) and I thought it was very heavy, compared to the air guns I own. I also have a very old air gun (led pellets) which is similar to the M1 carbine in size and length and even in looks. It is made in West Germany (yes it's that old!). It belonged to my father, he used to hunt birds with it and he says it was accurate and very powerful. Of course, since it's a spring gun, the elastic parts are all worn out and the spring is very weak. It can barely shoot. I took it to a gunsmith but he said it was so old he didn't have any replacement parts for it. He said it was a waste of time to open it and see if he could fix it and I didn't have a lot of time so I told him to give it back to me. It's kind of sad that Sternjaeger decided to leave but I guess we all more or less are gun funs. We wouldn't play war games if we didn't like guns now would we? ;) Once I also held in my hands a broken M1911 pistol and thought it was very heavy.

About the M1 Garand, Well yes I think a small person like your father (no offense :roll: ) is certain to have trouble with such a long and heavy rifle. I think it was more designed for the average American who is as I have heard quite tall. I am a big guy so I like big guns (especially long ones).

One of the main reasons I am obsessed with long-barreled guns is that I have read and seen on videos on you tube that they are more accurate. The longer the barrel the more accurate the rifle. But I am also a fan of large caliber. Do check out the hickok45 videos on youtube, they are very entertaining. This guy is a real gun expert. I admire him for his knowledge and for his character (he is really calm and sweet I would say). He is also very tall, above 2 meters height (and his son is even taller!!).

What rifles do you own? Can you make a list? Which one is your favorite? What type of guns do you like? My favourites are bolt-action ones, since they are mainly used by marksmen and snipers, I have never owned a semi-automatic rifle. Once I had bought a plastic (very cheap) automatic very small M4 gun (airsoft of course) but it broke soon after I bought it. I wasn't very familiar with plastics back then so I didn't take care of it :mrgreen: I was a child back then anyway.

We used to play war with my friends from school when we were kids. It was one of the best experiences I ever had. We used to play with airsoft spring pistols. Well, I think you can get an idea about how you would react in a war from these games. Some react bravely, others are more prone to hiding. A friend of mine was so afraid of getting shot that he used to hide in the bathroom or never come to aid me in the battlefield when I needed him funny02 Nice comrade huh? Yeah, I was stuck with him all the time. I never told him he was a coward but the other team members saw it and they were laughing at him. Now, he spends his time bragging to everyone about how educated he is and doesn't want to work. Inhibited behavior is very common in Greece no_02 But I still don't know how I would react in a real combat situation. After all you don't have the fear of death in airsoft games. But then again I don't think a soldier in combat is constantly thinking about death. There wouldn't be any heroes if this was the case. What do you think?
Last edited by geosouv on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 am

Hey George, sorry for not responding to this earlier. I forgot where it was at. :oops:
geosouv wrote:Once I also held in my hands a broken M1911 pistol and thought it was very heavy.
It was definitely a solid weapon. The ones we had in the armories I was in definitely had seen some mileage but they were still going strong till the 9 mil (Beretta M9) started replacing them.
geosouv wrote:About the M1 Garand, Well yes I think a small person like your father (no offense :roll: ) is certain to have trouble with such a long and heavy rifle. I think it was more designed for the average American who is as I have heard quite tall. I am a big guy so I like big guns (especially long ones).
No offense taken. That is why I mentioned his size so you could get an idea of where he was coming from. Asians are still known to be of a slighter build than most Americans and my dad was born over 100 years ago. He was already in his 30s during WW2.
geosouv wrote:One of the main reasons I am obsessed with long-barreled guns is that I have read and seen on videos on you tube that they are more accurate. The longer the barrel the more accurate the rifle. But I am also a fun of large caliber.
That is true. As a large caliber fan you might enjoy black powder weapons. Now those can really kick. While not as accurate and you can't empty a magazine in a few seconds ... it does give you an appreciation of the advancement in weapons/firearms. I definitely wouldn't like to be in a battle with a muzzle loader.
geosouv wrote:Do check out the hickok45 videos on youtube, they are very entertaining. This guy is a real gun expert. I admire him for his knowledge and for his character (he is really calm and sweet I would say). He is also very tall, above 2 meters height (and his son is even taller!!).
I did check out some of his videos. Thanks.
geosouv wrote:What rifles do you own? Can you make a list?
None any longer. I sold them when I retired from the service and moved overseas. That was many years ago but what I did have was:
Rifles, carbines, & shotgun
- .30-.30 cal. Sears and Roebuck lever-action rifle (Model # unrecalled)
- .30 cal. Universal Arms carbine (similar to M1 carbine)
- .22 cal. Remington Nylon 66 semi-auto rifle
- .22 cal. Marlin semi-auto carbine (Model # unrecalled)
- .22 cal. bolt-action rifle (Maker & Model # unrecalled)
- .20 gauge Harrington and Richardson (H&R) shotgun (Model # unrecalled)
Handguns
- .36 cal Navy cap-and-ball revolver (Maker unrecalled)
- .32 cal H&R Model 632 revolver

I got the wife interested in marksmanship and I gave her a Ruger MK II (22 cal semi-auto). Its been 25 years but she still has it.

One nice thing about keeping my weps, and working, at the armory. I could open up the range for a quick lunch time shoot.
geosouv wrote: Which one is your favorite? What type of guns do you like? My favourites are bolt-action ones, since they are mainly used by marksmen and snipers, I have never owned a semi-automatic rifle.
Well I don't think I can compare my .22 caliber bolt to a Kar98k :lol: ... but you still wanted to make the first shot count if you could since you might not get another chance. You couldn't pull off a quick second shot ... not like with a semi-auto. For messing around, I guess I liked the Remington Nylon 66. My dad had given me one for my 7th birthday and it was a nice rifle to go plinking. On the other hand, the .30 carbine wasn't bad for smaller varmints.

Take care George. thup01

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey Duke,

I just saw your reply today. :oops: Sorry for not seeing this earlier but I was busy writing on some Greek forums and arguing with some very young people until I realized it was a big mistake to talk to them in the first place, let alone fight with them! Now it's all quiet in that forum, I found some older people which are very interesting and we are currently discussing World War 2. I've got to get a good history book on WW2 but it is not the time yet.

By black powder guns you mean very old guns, which you have to reload manually and it takes a lot of time to do so? Well, if these are the ones you mean, I am not really interested. I don't think hickok has any videos on such old guns. If you have a link about these old guns I would gladly check it out though ;) My favorite guns are WW 2 guns along with modern Sniper rifles like the Parker-Hale M85. By the way, in what system do you count a person's height in the U.S.? I thought Americans use feet and inches but recently I saw a video of hickok and he said he was 80 (?) inches tall. Luckily my cell phone has a converter so I found out that he is 6' 8'' or 2 meters tall. I am familiar with the feet system and of course with the metric system which is the one most countries use. Luckily he also said he is 6' 8'' at the end of the video so I realized his actual height.

Have you ever fired an M1 Garand? It is one of my very favorite guns.
Last edited by geosouv on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:34 am

No worries on the delay. I, too, sometimes lose track of where things are posted.
geosouv wrote:By black powder guns you mean very old guns, which you have to reload manually and it takes a lot of time to do so?
Yes, however, most black powder weapons in use are replicas. My Navy cap-and-ball revolver was a replica.
geosouv wrote:I don't think hickok has any videos on such old guns. If you have a link about these old guns I would gladly check it out though
- Actually, here is hickok45 using a powder flask on his cap and ball.
1858 Remington Cap & Ball - hickok45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Qr7qmSvY

- This is the type of weapon I had but I used a powder flask instead of paper cartridges
Loading a Black Powder 1851 Navy with Paper Cartridges
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G2zFzaDXxc

- This clip shows a black powder pistol as its fired. You will first note when the primer goes off which in turn ignites the black powder which finally sends the ball down range.

Black Powder Revolver, High Speed Video, 600fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOGUrlfSNyU
geosouv wrote: By the way, in what system do you count a person's height in the U.S.?
It depends. My military ID card uses inches only but my civilian driver's license uses feet & inches.
geosouv wrote: have you ever fired an M1 Garand? It is one of my very favorite guns.
No. My dad used the M1 Garand during WW2. I used the M14 & M16 plus I owned an M1 Carbine replica.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Here is a cool video from the gun expert Hickok45. It explains in the best possible way how gas operated guns work. The only thing I don't like about hickok45 is that he doesn't like rifles much, he is not a rifleman. He is more into handguns and less into rifles while I am on the opposite side.

But still he knows a lot about how all types of guns work so he is pretty much the best there is on youtube. His videos are entertaining, full of useful information and very nice to watch. Check him out if you like firearms in general. I sent him a message through youtube and asked him about some technical help for guns and also told him he should try becoming a rifleman and train more with rifles. I don't know if he'll consider it.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:09 am

Efxaristo George. thup01

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 am

Parakalo (you are welcome), Duke