FIXED | old games do not run on multi CPU

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
major sea
Private

FIXED | old games do not run on multi CPU

Unread post by major sea » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:47 pm

allo allo
just found this nice little fix for older games not being able to run on multi cpu pc's
check the readme first

Author : TippeX

[Introduction]

This utility is FREEWARE, we accept no responsibility for any problems that may occour on your system
that may come from using this utility... you use it on your own risk..

NOTE: Using this utility on a single core system will result in you getting a nice messagebox telling you
that using the utility on such a system is POINTLESS...

This is a simple utility, designed for older games that have issues with dual core (or higher) systems,
usually resulting in the game crashing or having jerky visuals...

Such games are : Thief, Thief 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Invisible Wars, Dungeon Keeper 2, System Shock 2..

The utility acts as a launcher for the game, forcing the system to only allow the game access to one
processor, which solves quite a lot of the problems.. Previously, to do this you would have to alt-tab
out of the game, load TaskManager and set the process affinity on the program (which by then would probably
have crashed already...)..

The utility is coded in 100% assembly code, both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version, resulting in a
very small sized application (4kb for the 32 bit, and 5kb for the 64 bit)...

The utility is commandline based and essentially takes 2 parameters

1. the working directory (-w)
2. the executable to launch (-l)

example:

c:\oneprocessorlaunch\64bit\oneprocessorlaunch.exe -w"d:\my games\thief" -l"d:\my games\thief\thief.exe"

note the usage of the quotes for long filenames...

a variation on the example above would be..

c:\oneprocessorlaunch\64bit\oneprocessorlaunch.exe -w"d:\my games\thief" -lthief.exe

which would do the exact same thing...

for a 32 bit system it would be

c:\oneprocessorlaunch\32bit\oneprocessorlaunch.exe -w"d:\my games\thief" -lthief.exe

and so on...

[Installation]

Simply unpack the rar file to a location of your choice, and make shortcuts to it with the relevant
commandlines.. its very simple...
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.