Greetings ^^

This is the place to talk about everything and anything.
RobinHoodSmedley
Private

Greetings ^^

Unread post by RobinHoodSmedley » Tue May 30, 2023 6:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm a 33 years old player from Italy and I have always been playing H&D/H&DD in the past but never finished either of two.

I'm glad I found this place since H&D is one of the games I loved back when CDs were still a thing, and I found many things of it, especially technicalities, very fascinating to this day.
I started a new campaign on difficult of the latter through steam few months ago and hopefully not many years will pass again before I finish it and try out H&D2 too.

I never modded anything related to the game, but I recently I started tinkering a bit with the extractor to see if I could at least export the translation of my old copies over to the steam ones to allow other people to play H&D in italian (not many people from my country know that H&D also has a native italian translation, thinking the Deluxe is the only one having it). I'm not sure if H&DFF has one either tbh.

I'm still lacking the knowledge to do something with it, but I try to compensate with being very stubborn in general, like losing a whole day just to make the Steam versions work no_02 (blesses DgVoodoo).
So I'll probably ask for help about it quite soon funny02

Cheers

NilsZ
Major

Re: Greetings ^^

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed May 31, 2023 12:47 pm

The steam version and the originals ran surprising well on my win 7. They never worked on windows XP.

FFF should have also multiple languages.

You should be able to change the language in the registry or you can also load another language with command line.

RobinHoodSmedley
Private

Unread post by RobinHoodSmedley » Wed May 31, 2023 5:51 pm

NilsZ wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:47 pm
The steam version and the originals ran surprising well on my win 7. They never worked on windows XP.

FFF should have also multiple languages.

You should be able to change the language in the registry or you can also load another language with command line.
I'm on win 7 64x ult too but I had to use DgVoodoo2 to even make H&D and H&DFF launch. The deluxe never had any problem thankfully.

Didn't know this, thanks! I tried looking for "take2"/"dangerous" in the registry and found a "Language ID" string in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Take2\Hidden and Dangerous\1.30.

Now I just have to figure out how to correctly flag it and in case it works if I can also create a similar one to the H&D too.

EDIT: it seems the other possible languages available in FFF are German (1) or French (2). I tried also 3,4, etc but it just crashes the game so I guess there aren't even other translations built in the game files.

EDIT2: I tried recreating the same string over the H&D registry folder and to my surprise the (4) code works and brings up the italian language!
The only issue I'm seeing is that anything sound related is non-existent, so things like mission briefings and also the in-game voice commands still work but are literally muted (you can see your other 3 soldier readiness icons changing to check it does, but nothing else).
This means that unless there a way to repack the .dta files, I don't think it would be possible to fix the issue.

EDIT3: I tried to keep the (4) edit on the registry while copying over these 4 files from my original CD copy:
sounds.cnt
Sounds.dta
sounds_l.cnt
sounds_l.dta
...and it worked!

Now the only remaining issue would be FFF.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:47 am

yes the sound files are missing. You will need the setup of FFF to extract italian sound files.
When installing the game it installs only one language sound archive.

btw. there are more languages supported that don't have sounds (at least for HD Deluxe). Such as japanese, czech, polish, portugese and some more.

RobinHoodSmedley
Private

Unread post by RobinHoodSmedley » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:20 pm

I ordered a FFF copy from ebay so in a few days I'll see if I'm lucky with that one too.

That's interesting, I never cheched the deluxe tbh mostly because I already expected it to have most of the translations. I only noticed that spanish (3) is another one in H&D, but that's it.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 pm

I just checked the FFF sounds_l.dta for you. It contains english, french, german and italian sounds. Seems that there was no translation for spanish. What happens if you try to launch the FFF steam version in italian?

RobinHoodSmedley
Private

Unread post by RobinHoodSmedley » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:31 am

Well this is awkward. The game started and it's the full italian version too.
The other day when I launched it with the regedit edit for the first time it froze (and I had to use the task manager to kill it) so I assumed it didn't even have the italian data to read from and never tried again.

Now, It still froze but I noticed it's because of the soldier auto selecting feature. I tried manually scrolling each soldier to sort of let the game retrieve their data and now it went through, no crash.
If I exit and relaunch the game the issue will still be there and I have to use this "trick" if I want to randomize my soldiers.
I guess it's either an unfixed bug or something related to DgVoodoo2 that I'm using since otherwise I can't launch neither H&D nor H&DFFF (I'm on a Win7 ultimate 64x)

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:30 am

Launch the game with "safe" command line. That should do the job. The freezes are a known problem of H&D on newer OS. They happen randomly.

RobinHoodSmedley
Private

Unread post by RobinHoodSmedley » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:43 am

Thanks, it's smooth now! ^^