Questions before attempting the game for the first time - which version?

This section is for all Hidden & Dangerous talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support. All discussions for Fight for Freedom/Devil's Bridge go here too!
Daniel
Lieutenant

Re: Questions before attempting the game for the first time - which version?

Unread post by Daniel » Tue May 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Okay the soldier thing doesn't seem to be happening in campaign 3, but it did in 2 consistently. I don't know whether it is only that campaign or whether the profile can get messed up in the original?

Also, mission 5 of campaign 3 has major fps issues that i described before - when they do the super rediculous burst fire shots - and the thing is there are a lot of them doing it.

Some things i have noticed about deluxe (although i am trying to play the normal version now):
You cannot look around inside of vehicles from many positions you previously could - is this fixable?
There appears to be no working tram on c2m2 - or at least i did not notice one? Also how come they shoot you disguised if you are in a car on that one where as they don't in the original. Is it meant to be like that?

Another question i have is that in the original, when does the game use non-warpaint faced skins for your soldiers? As it seems to use the warpaint ones even if you are wearing german uniforms, which seems a bit odd. I can't remember about if you are disguised in c2m2 - will check.

Also, bump, although i appreciate you are rather busy Jason. Unless anyone knows where else i can ask? (Sadly i think the community is kind of dead so is nowhere?).

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed May 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Daniel wrote: Do any soldiers actually have a different voice? And if so, how is this really implemented, as i thought there aren't really enough different sound files for voice variations? Or does it just ignore the setting (in the original too?). Or is it ever even anything different to 0 anyway?
Yes in the original game at least they definitely had different voices, forgot if Deluxe had them or not. To be totally honest I think H&D Deluxe was a very rushed project. From memory I think the lead developer said they only had a few months. They wanted to do more but run out of time for the project. So that is why there are some cutbacks sadly. But the main thing is they gave it way more life thanks to the editor.
Daniel wrote: Hmm i got the one from gamecopyworld and it doesn't seem to work. It still asks me for the disc. Is this because i ran the game once or twice before trying the no-cd. It's annoying really, and i don't really want to be having to put the cds in cos if they get worn out, it's not like i will be able to get replacements. (I did a full-install).
Also the Fight For Freedom one seems like it's not even a no-cd? or at least it tells you to burn it to a disc before you even install, with the rest of the install files. How odd. Haven't tried it mind you.
Perhaps just make an ISO of the CD and use Daemon Tools to load it. Do some googling I don't know how to set it all up exactly but it will work. It basically just copies the cd to your harddrive so you don't have to use the real one. Bit better than a crack but you need to have space for the copy of the cd.
Daniel wrote: One problem i am having with the game is that in Fight for Freedom, the first level, Poland 1 with the jet takes ages to load to the map or even to reload a save. Another issue is that when they shoot at me with automatic weapons, doing some crazy burst firework shot, my framerate goes through the floor and it makes it nigh uncontrollable. I'm not sure if it happens in the normal game as well - will have to check more. But certainly really need to get around this issue as it really quite hampers playability.
The burst fire is a known issue, there is a bit of a fix you can do... it's been spoken about on the forums many times. I'll try to dig something up. But the other issues are just a fact of the game.
Daniel wrote: Yes, i am using the 1.3 patch from this website. Does FFF have any patches? I am assuming not but i may be wrong.
H&D FFF should already be at the latest version.
Daniel wrote: My idea for the SAS members is really simple actually, but does involve player effort. Basically, between missions, the player would keep my program running (or start it up again) and then tell it what soldier faces to load. Essentially you would do your soldier selection in the program to match up with the soldier selection in game and then it would load the corresponding face textures.
Sounds like a bit of a pain to do for each mission or at least every time you want to change your soldier.
Daniel wrote: In terms of FFF restoring, can the soldiers attributes be copied across? As i know the pictures can be replaced. Not sure if the additional soldiers can be removed, but their portraits could be replaced with "empty" ones to encourage people not to select them.
You can totally replace the soldiers in H&D Deluxe if you wish.
Daniel wrote: I am glad that they left the face integers in - that takes out the element of guesswork though - assuming they haven't altered them from the original in any way - would need to load up stuff in 3dsmax just for a check. It might even be the case that a program can be written to read the face integers from the map files and then change the models of each soldiers accordingly, so that they all have the corresponding faces. Probly have to get it to find and replace hex edit and suchlike which i'm not really sure how to do but theoretically could be done automatically, which would save a lot of work to be honest. Even if it's hard to do with hex, can you do kind of "find and replace" macros or something in the editor itself? Or at least a way to switch quickly between all actors, without having to find them on the map and double click.
You can easily find all the actor models using the search/filter feature they have. The face id numbers are still intact as far as I could tell.
Daniel wrote: What is up with when the enemies shoot in some really odd burst fire mode where shots come out almost like a shotgun, in every direction and it makes a really really strange sound (almost like the engine cannot cope). This happens in both deluxe and the original.
It's just because it's an old game. Lots of old games have speed issues on newer computers. There are programs you can run to help prevent this. It's a pain I know but it's just a thing old games have on newer versions of windows. Ideally you should create an old PC gaming box.
Daniel wrote: Also, where is the extra background information about each soldier, for example that says William "Mad" Calvert was a mechanic before the war etc. For example here: http://replay.web.archive.org/200608150 ... alvert.asp
Where can that be found in game? Cos i really couldn't find it in the menus or anywhere, and it's quite interesting background details lol.
Some of that is the authors comments. Some of it might be from the manual. I've looked at a couple of the manuals I have an it's not in there, nor is it in the strategy guide. Infact there is more info in the game than in the manual and strategy guide.
Daniel wrote: Strangely, i have found that the shooting stats don't necessarily correspond with how good a sniper the soldier is? At least, i had Calvert as a sniper with a rating of 80 but he was really really awful, with a lot of his shots missing the targets by miles, where as someone like The Mule Wooley who has a stat of 70 seemed much better, which seemed rather odd to me. I don't really get it.
A few factors are taken into account as far as I know. "Hood" is by far the best sniper. Plus when you take control of the character personally you can definitely shoot more accurately.
Daniel wrote: Edit - what on earth, why aren't my weapons i picked up carried through to the second mission on Fight for Freedom. Bug?! For some reason it's given me the same choice i gave myself for the first mission - including all the tnt. That means no mp40 or mp44, which is kind of equalling screwed right now.
Yeah, a bug or something... happens to me to but didn't originally when I first played the game ever... from memory... that was a LONG time ago though :oops:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Daniel wrote: Okay the soldier thing doesn't seem to be happening in campaign 3, but it did in 2 consistently. I don't know whether it is only that campaign or whether the profile can get messed up in the original?
I'm getting confused about what version of the game you are playing, you need to state which one so we can keep track :lol:
Daniel wrote: Some things i have noticed about deluxe (although i am trying to play the normal version now):
You cannot look around inside of vehicles from many positions you previously could - is this fixable?
There appears to be no working tram on c2m2 - or at least i did not notice one? Also how come they shoot you disguised if you are in a car on that one where as they don't in the original. Is it meant to be like that?
I haven't noticed that vehicle thing to be honest or at least I don't remember it.
There is no working tram... not sure why they took that out. Could be added in easily I guess.
Not sure about the disguises issue... :| does it happen all the time? if you have an allied weapon out they will definitely shoot at you. Check all the passengers.
Daniel wrote: Another question i have is that in the original, when does the game use non-warpaint faced skins for your soldiers? As it seems to use the warpaint ones even if you are wearing german uniforms, which seems a bit odd. I can't remember about if you are disguised in c2m2 - will check.
Depends on the uniform they were orginally wearing I think... anyone else??
Daniel wrote: Also, bump, although i appreciate you are rather busy Jason. Unless anyone knows where else i can ask? (Sadly i think the community is kind of dead so is nowhere?).
Our community is very old. H&D is a very old game. Games come and go so quickly these days. You have to remember we have all been here for many years. We've already answered a lot of questions over the years from newbies that come and go. Your questions are very different though, it's refreshing a bit. You have a keen interest in the game and it's cool but remember we are OLD (not in age but old fans of the game), just gives us time and we'll get to it.

This is the largest english community, the only other active community is the German community. There are some clan forums for H&D2 but this really is the best place for H&D1 and H&D2... mainly because I'm a H&D1/Deluxe freak and the others still play H&D2 :wink:
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Hmm if i look at the sound files for the voices, there are not individual voices in the first game specifically defined as such - rather the sound files it can randomly play from are individual within each sound set.

In fight for freedom, there are individual voices of both german and (i imagine, as not played that far) greek. However the other variants apart from the first set of each, are just the same recordings but highered and lowered in pitched.

In regards to no-cd, i don't really see the point of isoing it at that will use up computer resources so can't really be bothered with that. It's strange why it doesn't work though. Maybe an OS issue.

I appreciate having to use the program to make the changes every time you do it in-game is annoying but if you have it running at the same time and alt tab out then it shouldn't be too bad. It's just that would work and i don't know enough (anything) about hacking and hooking into games or even anything about editing h&d deluxe in order to get the multiple skins on a model or whatever to work. This way at least would work even if not ideal.

It is good news that soldier stats can easily be replaced too though.
I wonder if the extra soldier info from avault can be added or whether this would overflow the text area. I wonder whether it's scrollable - hmm.

Not really sure how to do the find and replace thing in the editor but i guess that can wait.

Oh so the burst fire thing isn't meant to happen? That is interesting news. Would be good to find out about, yes.
Even deluxe has the burst fire thing - it's just it doesn't appear to slow down the game there.

I am thinking of putting my old radeon 9600 pro back in and then installing 98 or ME and running my onboard sound. Not sure which to try out of those two oses really. Also i cannot remember if those oses had any form of updates and things? For example if i just installed a fresh copy of ME, i imagine without updates and stuff, games would still not necessarily run that well (considering microsoft's track record ;) - especially with me).

I'm playing h&d 1 original, 1.3. I was playing deluxe up until the end of campaign 2 when i couldn't get the sound working in the original.

Basically the vehicle thing is - as a passenger, you can look around in the vehicles to look at the interior and stuff and out the windows - in deluxe, this has been mostly removed, except for out the back of the truck for example (ie if you can shoot rather than just look).

The disguises in a vehicle happens no matter what you are carrying if i remember. I think it's just a thing with deluxe. Not a huge deal, but it does kind of limit your approach to the mission - no more amusingly driving there in the car. I might be wrong though, so would have to check again.

Some things i have discovered regarding faces in the original - in the first mission of campaign 3 it seems that the guards all have the same face (or at least the majority - it's hard to be sure when i have to check manually in the mission). The exception are the officers with Mountbatten's face haha (who incidentally has it in deluxe). Even the prisoners all share that face. Amusingly though, in deluxe, some have different face integers. Mind you a lot have face integers of 0 which i have no idea what that would do - i guess it just means they didn't set anything. But then your squad all have 0 on every mission so maybe it's a special value.

One thing very odd i've seen is in the 2nd mission where some guards take on the warpainted face of your first soldier. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that your soldiers are wearing german uniforms.

I do find it weird that in all missions so far though, only the warpaint faces have been used and not the clean ones. Is this meant to be the case? I checked again and even in civis, they still had it on. Seems weird to me. (Again i am talking about the original here - assume so unless i state otherwise).

Some things that are weird i have found is that your shots get blocked by leaves/bushes and chain linked fences (well the latter happens in h&d2) but the blocking is not complete, it is kind of random, meaning that the enemies have a distinct advantage if they do the burst fire thing. That in itself was not making the concentration camp mission very fun. Mind you the whole idea of that mission is a bit unsettling - you don't expect to emerge in such a place. And then to just leave all the prisoners..

One thing that annoys me is that half the time, running people over in the half track somehow magically kills your soldier who's driving it and he falls out. A bit strange lol.
It's also funny that you pick up the german machine gun on level 3 and it turns into a bren. In deluxe they "fixed" this by making the external model a bren. Hahahahaha. (Unless i am wrong on both counts and just am showing my lack of knowledge about machine gun looks).

Concerning snipers, i just found it weird how calvert was soooooo awful where as someone apparently much worse than him (Slim) was a lot better. This is from controlling both personally too. I don't really trust the ai on many missions sadly. Even in h&d2 i don't that much, and there's a lot more flexibility there.
To be honest h&d is really best played coop - it's just sad they messed up the coop in the sequel. But with coop, that's the place where you can properly play tactically.

Yer i appreciate your time in replying and this always has seemed the most active hidden and dangerous forums really in all the years from what i remember. In fact the promise of deluxe restored all those years ago brought me here hahahahha.

Edit - i almost forgot, the inventory swapping started to happen again, arghh. The worst part is that it means that if a soldier dies, the wrong one dies, so it is inconsistent.

Is it possible to edit the save game so you can swap the inventory back? As this would be quicker and easier than faffing about in the game menus.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri May 13, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 am

Why are you letting them die in the first place? :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 am

well i'm generally not, although playing the missions until perfect is getting to feel like cheating. So it goes both ways.

One thing - Webb appears not to wear face paint while all the others are. I tried switching him to a different position and it didn't change which soldier didn't have facepaint. Either something to do with him in particular or something to do with my savegame for that campaign. Still, it's quite odd.
Which missions are meant to be with / without?

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 pm

bump