The difference between newbies and regulars

Have something to say about how the web site looks or how it is run? Post your feedback here.
Zunami
Corporal

The difference between newbies and regulars

Unread post by Zunami » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am

Great forum, lots of activity and obviously lot of life here.

BUT as a newbie, it's a bit confusing.
Considered archiving old posts?
I realize you prolly don't get lots of newbies, so I'm not sure it's even a good solution.

Jason
Administrator

Re: The difference between newbies and regulars

Unread post by Jason » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Actually, we get a lot of newbies for such an old game. H&D2 is closing in on it's 10th birthday and H&D1 is close to 15!

What do you mean by archiving exactly? locking old topics?

Zunami
Corporal

Re: The difference between newbies and regulars

Unread post by Zunami » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:55 am

Jason wrote:Actually, we get a lot of newbies for such an old game. H&D2 is closing in on it's 10th birthday and H&D1 is close to 15!

What do you mean by archiving exactly? locking old topics?
No, I run a forum myself (I started a "reunion-club" for my old boarding school a while back), based on the same version of phb, and we use the option to archive old posts, moving them into an archive which is essentially a clone of the same layout as the original forum, only it's located in a sub-forum called "archive" and all old threads are moved there when conversations die out.

This automatically locks them, thus preventing "necro'ing" (being a silly term for reviving ancient debates), as it's often the case that when one post falls too far behind in the view-selection of active debates, a new one about roughly the same will take it's place.

Oh and when I say that I "Run" a forum, it means I have the admin account, and managed to set it up back in the day, which involved a lot of herping and derping considering my very modest computer skills. I had some help setting up the advanced stuff, like the archive, by my friend who's and IT supporter/tech supporter, so I can't say exactly how it was done, but I believe it's a matter of coding. Yup. Look at me, using them big words.

Hope that somehow clarifies.