Mafia 2

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Mafia 2

Unread post by Jason » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Here's an interesting post about the development issues of Mafia 2 and why it took so long: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showth ... or-Relight
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 am

I just read this. Quite frustrating actually. To think that the game could have been finished a full three to four years earlier, catching the excitement of the initial release, was set back by console wars and an licensing issue for the engine! I hate to harp on it but it might be safe to say that Mafia II's undoing in this situation spells a dreary forecast for chances of H&D3.

The trends of the post 2008 market of greed indicate clearly that console games with strong multiplayer are what make money. I've been in EB games, Best Buy, Game Stop, etc and the comp section is always pathetically light  angry01 The WWII market has also been mercilessly extinguished with the COD WaW giving the last hurah despite what I'm sure is a sizable amount of us WWII game folks still left out here. The thinking man's game has gone the way of the Dodo.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 am

Capt. Stirling wrote:The thinking man's game has gone the way of the Dodo.
Don't forget ARMA 2, I've been meaning to play it but haven't yet because it seems to require too much thinking :lol: If you haven't checked out the game, go through some videos on YouTube. This game has good modding support. A quick google search found a WW2 mod called Invasion 1944 grin01

I think there will always be a market for us War Gamers (ww2 specifically), might be a small market but there is one. It's a shame the WW2 market has almost completely dried up. I don't know of any big games in development, been looking...

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 pm

I actually have the first Arma and enjoyed it as much Operation Flashpoint. That mod looks nice too :mrgreen:

I also find it hysterical that kids/gamers think the market was flooded with WWII games and that modern warfare is a breath of fresh air. There were by far more modern war games at any one time then there have been WWII games in the entirety of the genre.

The problem for PC games right now is that console graphics lessened the gap in graphics in the last decade. Its much easier for most consumers to buy a whole new system than to replace a video card or to upgrade your comp for a new game. So right now everyone is head over heals for PS3 and 360. At some point, I do believe PC games such as our beloved H&D, will return when games begin to make a gameplay divide. Sand box open ended games vs. interactive movies.
1941-1945

I-One
Private

Unread post by I-One » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Well in my opinion most computer games of now suck because the creators overdo the graphics and make it look fake and obviously computer generated, not like something you would see with your own eyes. Know what i mean. The graphics in new games remind me of the movie 300. They are just not realistic. Operation Flashpoint now thats realistic, even though a little blocky. The last game I bought was GTA IV in 2008, but my video card was not good enough to play it and I still havent replaced it yet, just going to wait until it gets cheaper. haha

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 am

I understand what you mean I-One. I remember someone quoted as having said "I went outside today and the graphics weren't that good." He was referring to the new MOH.

Your point is quite valid as there's too much going on with dynamic lighting and getting carried away with crisp detail and shine. It all began with Bioshock and CoD 4 I'm afraid. Its fine if your going for that aesthetic to create a fantasy world but it doesn't serve realism or at least believable atmosphere.
1941-1945

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 pm

It's bound to happen though, look at Magazines and Movies. It's all about the glammar of it all not the realism. Most actors look as "beautiful" as you and I in real life. I don't think games will ever look real, it will be just what people want the mood to be. The 1940's weren't grey and dull looking (except maybe in england? :P), nor were you shell shocked every day but those make a game/movie.

I still like Tetris, Mario Bros... Duck hunt! damn that smug dog! Classic fun games will always be enjoyable no matter what they look like. A good game is, a good game. There's a popular game at the moment called Minecraft which is... well have a look on You Tube :mrgreen:
The problem for PC games right now is that console graphics lessened the gap in graphics in the last decade. Its much easier for most consumers to buy a whole new system than to replace a video card or to upgrade your comp for a new game. So right now everyone is head over heals for PS3 and 360. At some point, I do believe PC games such as our beloved H&D, will return when games begin to make a gameplay divide. Sand box open ended games vs. interactive movies.
Yeah and sooner or later you'll be able to play a game that's on another computer, not installed on your own but streamed from some other location. Don't like that idea myself.

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:10 pm

I thought Modern Warfare 2 looked more like a cartoon. The colour palette was a complete joke. To much glare and shine made appear as if everything down to the destroyed vehicles had received a coat of Armor All.

A good as said will stand the test of time. Red Baron 3D (1998) is proof to that. I still play it and there's a very large modding community for it.

I intensely dislike not possessing a physical copy of anything I buy software wise.
1941-1945

crusti
Sergeant

Unread post by crusti » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 am

i sometimes watch 'click'  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/c ... t.stm  made by the bbc, they briefly showed an Ipad playing unreal as a streamed game, its an interesting idea, playing games way too powerful for the device or a device that the game was never written for.

so in theory,  if they supported H&D you could be playing it on any phone with wifi and a decent screen.
Theyll never replace the excitment of buying a physical copy of a game, and reading all the packaging while it installs, and how will they charge us to play , by the minute, by the hour?
How will good will net speeds need to be?
Last edited by crusti on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is Power
Share the Knowledge

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm

crusti wrote: Theyll never replace the excitment of buying a physical copy of a game, and reading all the packaging while it installs
You are so right. :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Have to agree there. I have all my H&D and H&D2 boxes on display.
1941-1945