1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Lardassmonkey
Sergeant

Unread post by Lardassmonkey » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:08 pm

I heard about this a while ago and I think that it could be good. I've often though about trying WW2Online but just never got round to it.
I do like the sound of the realism and destructable terrain in this one though, certainly makes it more attractive to me.
As does the nice wide variety of roles you can play. Might even be good for partisan game if it has civilians and resistance fighters. :D
I guess I'll just have to wait and see before pasing judgement on this.

As for the setting, well its the safe bet isn't it? Its an area most gamers are familar with and with a large part of the market being US they're not going to cut out US forces completely by setting it elsewhere as it may put some people off. Plus Normandy does allow for alot of different roles and nationalities to be played and provides some varied terrain so its a good place to start.

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:05 pm

[quote=""Drozdov""]Only problem with this game is it's too ambitious, I doubt it'll live up to their hopes, unless they take years to make it. Talk of expansion packs in whole new combat zones is unrealistic - WWII Online has been hinting at this for years, but still we only have the Western European theatre.[/quote]Yes, WWIIOnline is great, but it lacks in gameplay.
Especially the mobile spawnpoint for example.[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]What about the fact that the paras didnt use the BAR?They did in very small number but did not carry it themselves aboard the dropplane...

They were dropped by Dakota/Skytrains/C-47 (whatever you like to call it 8)) amongst the other equipment like Springfields and M1916's which were actually intended for the 2nd.

You can always pick it up if you find one in the game...[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]Cafe De Normandie![/quote]Typo... Sorry :oops:[quote=""Oldih""]I know that BiA has the IS stuff bit too much sway, but isn?t it the idea to prevent you not to be the miracle machine that own German war machine alone?[/quote]According to Randy (Pitchford, director of Gearbox Software) it is because they wanted to have fights longer than in regular FPS games.

It certainly worked, but it isn't realistic at all.
Even Infinity Ward tried to avoid this but it was the only way to make firefights endure longer thus making the game longer en more exciting
Oldith wrote:So, to get back to the topic, as I said before, the mod looks and sounds good. I just hope it is not ruined by good graphics and psychics and let the gameplay itself be crappy.
Gameplay has been, is and always will be Frantic Games' nr.1 priority...

In fact the design document about gameplay is summarized and is over 300 pages long if I recall it...
Issues like manual bolting, melee, 8 movement modes (including march mode :lol:), interaction (Open, Kick, Smash, Destroy Doors, etc), etc are all covered, planned and/or worked on.

You will notice the difference between rank hi?rarchy, tactics, movement, etc between different squads, companys, divisions, armies and even nations.

Like the Germans have their tactics centered on the Machinegewehr.
It is the key to "Sieg" according to the Germans, they have everything centered on the "Todesmachine or Machine des Todes" and the machinegun has it's own security team.

Hell the AI system even has it's own advanced tactics editor. :D
Oldih wrote:IMHO, graphics nor psychics does not make the game.
[/quote]A man of my own words! :D
Physics now play a role in the gameplay, like Half-Life 2 only in a different way.
It might betray you as you sneak through the forests, you could smash a brick wall on an American below, etc.

And the graphics... Well I don't think the developers actually care about graphics, but it's all centered around gameplay, performance and realism...
The only reason SpeedTree RT is implemented to the game core is because it works with the 3D billboard system which means trees in the distance will have lower polygon-count then those near.
It means your computer won't have to deal with extreme polygon-counts.

Also the models are quite low-poly, and rely on high-res and quality textures (and extensive use of normal mapping on SM1.1 computers)
The game has two physics engines, both NovodeX (complex, heavy on 1GHz CPU's or lower, difficult to mod, best atm with most features and hardware acceleration support from the PhysX PPU) and Tokamak (easy, works on very slow CPU's, easy to mod, not too much features)

Btw. I don't think this is a flame war?? It is true that I'm a bit of a fanboy of this game... :P
But no one started calling names, etc... If I did, I'm truly sorry, I don't mean to blame or insult anyone.
If so, I apologize...

Btw. So for the long posts, but I don't want to be called a post spammer... So I apologize for this aswell...

With kind regards, and yours truly,
Sarge. 8)

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:55 pm

If I believed that you are supposed to potray those small numbers in BiA, I wouldnt have broughten it up...

But we all know they just didnt want to worry about implementing the M1919A6 that way...

And, M1916s? You dont mean German helmets do you? :wink:

You are deffinatly not a flamer or spammer...

That whole concept falls short of my grasp...

I enjoy the long posts...
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 pm

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]I enjoy the long posts...[/quote]It's at least better than spamming small posts... :D[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]If I believed that you are supposed to potray those small numbers in BiA, I wouldnt have broughten it up...

But we all know they just didnt want to worry about implementing the M1919A6 that way...

And, M1916s? You dont mean German helmets do you? :wink:[/quote]OMG did I type M1916? :S I didn't mean the Stahlhelms!
I meant M1919A4/M1919A6 Browning Light Machinegun... :lol:

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]You are deffinatly not a flamer or spammer...[/quote]Thank God... I'm really relieved that no-one's calling me a spammer...
But be honest, do you think I'm bad in advertising?[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]That whole concept falls short of my grasp...[/quote]Should I rephraze the whole story/concept? :P

Btw. I do like that the project leader (Ronan) took my hints to study games like H&D2, VC, RO, etc...

He was amazed by the capturing, movement system, vehicle realism, interaction, etc in H&D2 that he based some of his idea's on H&D2's and extending it to something more suitable to a next-gen, pure realism, event-simulator...

Verdict: So if you love H&D2's features... You'll love 1944 D-Day features... ;)

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:15 am

I meant the concept of this being a flame war... :lol:

Any advertisment is good advertisment... :P
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:23 am

I meant the concept of this being a flame war...

Any advertisment is good advertisment...
Yup.

PS vit: as I said, I consider this as *flame war*, not flame war.

But as for the topic, I hope the project is going fine, even though HL-2 wont run my comp.

But as I said before, well let?s say I generalized and was precautioned, but as these has been now settled up.
It might betray you as you sneak through the forests, you could smash a brick wall on an American below, etc.
Well this sounds interesting. How about throwing helmets if your weapons are out of ammo?

And how is the ranks system going to work? Make it like in ET that a medic in rank of Major is unstoppable in 75% of firefights? :P
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:31 am

[quote=""Oldih""]
I meant the concept of this being a flame war...

Any advertisment is good advertisment...
Yup.

PS vit: as I said, I consider this as *flame war*, not flame war.

But as for the topic, I hope the project is going fine, even though HL-2 wont run my comp.

But as I said before, well let?s say I generalized and was precautioned, but as these has been now settled up.[/quote]Ok let that story rest. ;)[quote=""Oldih""]
Well this sounds interesting. How about throwing helmets if your weapons are out of ammo?[/quote]Well I 'spose if you can throw any physics object... A helmet such work too...
However... If it would really hurt them, I don't know.

The game doesn't really work with healthbars or health points but with LSD (Location Specific Damage).
There are 3 different damages: "Painful, but you still are able to fight", "Deadly, you must be brought with a Jeep to a field hospital" and "Death".[quote=""Oldih""]And how is the ranks system going to work? Make it like in ET that a medic in rank of Major is unstoppable in 75% of firefights? :P[/quote]Well Majors aren't medic but either NCO's or Commissioned Officers.
Mostly in Company Level itself.

The medic's can't really heal you, it will be like IRL.
A medic it's only there to give you that extra 10% chance of survival on the Jeep back to the field hospital, to make dying more comfortable then it actually is (by using morphine), or to help you with simple first-aid thingy's like bandages, trenchfeet, etc.

Often you'll just die...
However field surgeons is a completely different story, they can actually help you when your leg is shot off. A medic can only try to stalp the bleeding and apply some simple bandages.
But I don't know if field surgeons will feature in the game.

When the forums are up again, you can visit the FAQ for specific questions:
http://www.1944game.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Cheers,
Sarge. :wink:

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 am

Sounds pretty interesting.

But since there is this LSD as you explained, I know this sounds bit unrealistic but like Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear, there is a thing which shows the pulse of the body next to your status.

For example:

Healthy - Green *window* and working well
Healthy\Injured - Yellow *window* and not so high.
Incapciated (out of action) - Orange *window*, very low, but still alive (so you don?t lose him etc)
KIA - red *window* no pulse = dead.

So what I am trying to explain, is that even there might not be some sort of pulsewindow in screen\something like that, IMHO, I would like to see many sorts of damage, like when you need your status, there could be:

Healthy - fully conditional
Injured\Hurt - Injured - more damaged etc, needs medic, while hurt - only some small damage, like shrapnel made a small flesh wound, no medic needed yet.
Incapaciated\Wounded - Incapaciated needs to be evacuated, some large damage (like got 2-3 hits to chest but pulse is going etc), needs medical attension ASAP, while wounded - you still can do something but you?re going to need medical attension too, and pretty fast (like if your both legs are damaged, you could be counted as wounded, since you still can crawl and shoot but cannot do any useful than shoot in combat F.E).
Dead\KIA - self-explationary.

Also, some interesting ideas could be also:

Uncontious - knocked out, should wake up in anytime.
Danger - bleeding while wounded\hurt\incapaciated or something like that.

And what about stamina? Is there some sort of status for it? Like winded, fatigued etc.

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:46 am

[quote=""Oldih""]Sounds pretty interesting.

But since there is this LSD as you explained, I know this sounds bit unrealistic but like Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear, there is a thing which shows the pulse of the body next to your status.

For example:

Healthy - Green *window* and working well
Healthy\Injured - Yellow *window* and not so high.
Incapciated (out of action) - Orange *window*, very low, but still alive (so you don?t lose him etc)
KIA - red *window* no pulse = dead.

So what I am trying to explain, is that even there might not be some sort of pulsewindow in screen\something like that, IMHO, I would like to see many sorts of damage, like when you need your status, there could be:

Healthy - fully conditional
Injured\Hurt - Injured - more damaged etc, needs medic, while hurt - only some small damage, like shrapnel made a small flesh wound, no medic needed yet.
Incapaciated\Wounded - Incapaciated needs to be evacuated, some large damage (like got 2-3 hits to chest but pulse is going etc), needs medical attension ASAP, while wounded - you still can do something but you?re going to need medical attension too, and pretty fast (like if your both legs are damaged, you could be counted as wounded, since you still can crawl and shoot but cannot do any useful than shoot in combat F.E).
Dead\KIA - self-explationary.

Also, some interesting ideas could be also:

Uncontious - knocked out, should wake up in anytime.
Danger - bleeding while wounded\hurt\incapaciated or something like that.

And what about stamina? Is there some sort of status for it? Like winded, fatigued etc.[/quote]The LSD system works based on vital organs, vains, etc.

So if get hit at the aortae, you'll just bleed to death instantly if you won't be aided with bandage to stop the bleeding.
If your leg gets shot off you are still alive I assume but incapacitated to fight so you'll have to leave that character and go to another living soldier.

Your healthstatus will not be revealed on your HUD, mostly soldiers know which shots are lethal, but sometimes they walk with a ricochet in their legs without noticing it!

Because it is not revealed on your HUD you might notice that you'll have pain (closing eye, making pain sounds) and your movement will be different, and even your stamina level can be altered!
At a point where you can be hit critically your teammates or allies (bots) might actually say things like: "Oh my God Tom, look at your leg!! *MEDIC*!!"
Or even when you are about to die and the fight is almost over teammates or allies (bots) might comfort you like: "You aren't going to die Tom! Just... Hang on! *MEDIC*!!"

This all happens dynamically, where as the physics engine keeps hold how fast, in what angle, the momentum of the bullet, etc.
However I don't believe this happens when you use Tokamak...

Oldih
Global Moderator

Unread post by Oldih » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:58 am

Just asking, I don?t mean there should be some revealed stuff but just for some examples and asking stuff.

But sounds pretty interesting system. I just hope it works as you say.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:25 pm

No, I cant take the bullshit of "Your not gonna die Tom!"...

Our player characters would never lie like that rite?

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:17 pm

[quote=""-ViTaMiHnM203-""]No, I cant take the bullshit of "Your not gonna die Tom!"...

Our player characters would never lie like that rite?[/quote]:P Well then you'd probably hate Sicily... :p

But of course it will be much more realistic than the cinematic "You aren't going to die Tom!". :lol:

But when you like at H&D2 they're just robot which can give orders, always walking in your LOF... :roll:

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:46 pm

I think its playing style that allows for the line of fire walking...

I never really had that problem, maybe in Normandy 1...

If you arnt gonna die, I dont mind...

But when you are clearly gonna die and they just saying it to ease you, I hate it...

xplosiv
Private

Unread post by xplosiv » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:23 pm

SgtH3nry3 can u plz stop following me around! :lol:
its kinda getting scary now! im on the 1944 forums too

and arnt you the SgtH3nry3 from the bf mod dcx and bf2 mod rising conflicts? :D

stalker :roll: :lol:
whey aye man! :D

SgtH3nry3
Private

Unread post by SgtH3nry3 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:08 pm

[quote=""xplosiv""]SgtH3nry3 can u plz stop following me around! :lol:
its kinda getting scary now! im on the 1944 forums too

and arnt you the SgtH3nry3 from the bf mod dcx and bf2 mod rising conflicts? :D

stalker :roll: :lol:[/quote] :twisted: hehehe...