Next Best ?

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
wanderer1825
Sergeant

Next Best ?

Unread post by wanderer1825 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, but with such a long time between each new release of H&D, what is the next best game to keep me going till H&D3.
I've tried a few and they do not compare with the atmosphere of H&D.

Cheers

Lars
Commando

Next Best ?

Unread post by Lars » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:32 pm

My choice would be deadly dozen 1+2 LOS vietnam. Sadly there is not something that could reach H&D in any way :(

Oldih
Global Moderator

Next Best ?

Unread post by Oldih » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 am

Deadly Dozen?s one of the biggest mistakes was to remove AI and let them have ?berskills; they have no sense in combat but they ?bersoldat skills, so they can shoot beyond the visibility range, they can hear you nearly anywhere, they hit about 97% of their shots etc, it would go but IMO since the pain animation of your soldier is so long that you can?t respond to fire, unless you open the fire yourself.

One game you would like to try is Commandos, and Commandos 2. Both are great games, instead being FPS action games, they are puzzle games where you need to figure the correct piece to be able to move on ;)
Even the defeated pretend to elevate their wisdom and words

LT YORK UK
Private

Next Best ?

Unread post by LT YORK UK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:54 pm

Bored of HD2 ...with all those new co-op maps??? the next best??? my personal favs regarding FPS games are VIETCONG +FIST ALPHA....VIETCONG 2 out in october!!! also having a go at FARCRY at the moment. still go back to AVP2 now and again... and like Lars i also have LOS VIETNAM...the gooks see and hear everything in that game...so super stealth is a must otherwise you will be AK47 fodder! But for tons of extra content and lots of downloadable maps ...i will stick with the trusty old VIETCONG! oh that reminds me i still have not got round to playing HALF LIFE 2 yet! did look a bit crappy when i first played it! might give that another go...but will not bother with the RIP OFF BATTLEFIELD 2...that can gather dust with my CALL OF DUTY!!! So roll on HD3.....well we can dream i suppose!

wanderer1825
Sergeant

Next Best ?

Unread post by wanderer1825 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 pm

I'm a bit new to this. Never played online games, so, what are co op maps and mods and how do I use them.

Thanks

Jason
Administrator

Next Best ?

Unread post by Jason » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:25 pm

Welcome to the community.

Co op or COOP are shorts for cooperative mode. In co-op mode you can play through the H&D2 SS maps with other players online. The missions are slightly different and harder.

Mods are moderfactions of the game. People have been about to mod or edit parts of the game to make it more interesting.

As for games taking so long, well they dont really. It takes time to make perfection :wink:

I would definitely play Deadly Dozen 1+2 as well as Line of Sight. The only other type of game close to H&D is Deadly Dozen and MAYBE Rainbow Six.

Until the announcement of H&D3 we will just have to wait. Although I did ask IS if they could make a H&D3, I was worried they might not be able to due to their seperation from Take2 but they own all the rights so IS can make as many H&D games as they like.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

LondonSAS
Sergeant

Next Best ?

Unread post by LondonSAS » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 am

Dunno whether you've tried any of the excellent RTS WWII games about, or you just into FPS games? I was solely FPS till a mate recommended I tried Codename Panzers Phase 1, cos like you I couldnt find anything close to H&D in the FPS world. Now I'm hooked....if you fancy giving it a go you can't go wrong with Panzers Phase 1 and 2, and the Blitzkrieg series, you can buy the anthology now. Takes a little getting used to but its soooo immersive, and best of all (in my view) you can play a German panzer commander....'bout time the sunloungr stealers had a chance to be the good guys for a change :D

Romeo6
Private

Next Best ?

Unread post by Romeo6 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:30 am

Curios, have you tried any of the mods for LOS...? Like Operation SandStorm..?

Jason
Administrator

Next Best ?

Unread post by Jason » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:49 pm

Can't say I have, are they any good?
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Romeo6
Private

Next Best ?

Unread post by Romeo6 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:32 pm

[quote=""Jason""]Can't say I have, are they any good?[/quote]

http://www.maps.bassface3d.com/

Romeo6
Private

Next Best ?

Unread post by Romeo6 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 pm

'AndyC' is the nick I use for a few other games I am involved with. I have been a beta tester on every nFusion shooter released starting with the original Deadly Dozen, DD2:Pacific Theater, LOS and the latest Elite Warriors:Vietnam. I am the only person to date that has mad full campaigns for the original Deadly Dozen, The first 30 sp/mp campaigns for DD2:PT and the 30 sp/mp missions for LOS plus the SandStorm expansion and the Siberian Tiger expansion.

On another note, if you own EWV and have the editor squared away, grab a copy of KumaWar...both games use the same engine and editor to create the maps and missions. We took all of Kumas objects and used them in LOS:Modern Combat expansion(not released...yet)....good games.