What's your favorite WW2 game?

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
geosouv
Lieutenant

What's your favorite WW2 game?

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

What's your favorite WWII game? Tell us a few words about it, or compare it with the H&D games.
Last edited by geosouv on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't think you know who you are, know who you are

Jason
Administrator

Re: What's your favorite WW2 game?

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

I'd have to say after H&D the Commandos series would be my next favourite but Death to Spies is very close because it's like a 3rd person Commandos game. I'm sure everyone here has heard of or played the Commandos series of games. I think the first two Commandos games were the best the original and the expansion I mean. I couldn't get into Commandos 3 and haven't played the FPS yet. Commandos 2 was great as well but just didn't have the great missions, just the engine was a huge improvement. Commandos is more of a puzzle game that H&D and requires a lot more stealth and that is what I really like about it. The different abilities of the team members is good, H&D has a little of that.

I've played a lot of WW2 games but not many are as good as H&D and Commandos were. Death to Spies was the only recent WW2 game that really stood out gameplay wise.

What about you?

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 am

Jason wrote:I'd have to say after H&D the Commandos series
I briefly remember Commandos but I now see that Commandos 2 had some Pacific War missions. I just might have to track it down. I guess I was too heavy into Ghost Recon at the time to follow up on it. Either that or it never made it over to Qld. :lol:

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:25 am

I totally agree with you Jason. Commandos series are the best WW2 games ever. I absolutely loved them and also Commandos: Behind Enemy lines was the second PC game I ever bought. I can't really decide which Commandos game was the best. I enjoyed a lot Commandos 1, it's expansion pack and Commandos 2. The gameplay and the graphics in Commandos 2 were the best of all the series but it was a bit easy compared to the rest. Commandos 3 was almost as hard as Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines but the graphics were awful and the game was way too short. I didn't like it at all. I haven't played Commandos: Strike Force (the FPS), only the demo, but I have read reviews about it and critics said it was just good. I recently read that even Pyro Studios considers Commandos: Strike Force to be a failure and a mistake. I also read that there is going to be a Commandos 5 which will be an action-strategy game just like the first Commandos games.
It's too soon to see previews though but I think it will be a good game because Pyro studios have learned from their mistakes. I know you will probably not like this but I consider Commandos games superior to H&D games.
Last edited by geosouv on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 am

geosouv wrote:I know you will probably not like this but I consider Commandos games superior to H&D games.
:shock: better explain yourself soldier :lol: why do you think it's better?

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Jason,

I think it is better because it had no bugs. H&D was full of very annoying bugs. We cannot overlook that. But, after all you can't really compare them. One is a tactical shooter and the other one an action-strategy. Deferent genres, no comparison. Of course I am entitled to my opinion am I not?

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Not come across Commandos yet, i have tried Death to Spies a few year ago but it would not* play on my then PC. I thought Return to Castle Wolfenstein was an exellent game, i loved it.

1st = HnD2
2nd = Return to Castle Wolfenstein
3rd = HnD1
4th = Sniper Elite (not yet completed)

I dont rate the likes of MoH, BIA, COD etc, they just dont have it!

(edit: typo*)
Last edited by Grimples on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I think you should really play Commandos. It's a truly great game. I was thinking of buying Sniper Elite as I am into shooting ,guns and sniping and I have heard it is a very realistic game. I will buy it sometime but I have a lot of other games to finish first. Especially adventures, it's been a long time since I've played an adventure game or written a review about one...

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Sniper Elite is pretty good; if you want to try it, why not download the demo?

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 am

My favorite WW2 game after the H&D series? A submarine simulation. Comparison to the H&D series. Very, very different. :lol:

Since your thread's obvious focus is WW2 shooters and I prefer the Pacific War, with a side interest in North Africa, ... there are even less games available for my areas of interest. I admit I might have to check out those sniper games you guys are talking about.

So here goes ...

- H&D2 is the first game I load after a hard-drive scrub or after buying a new system.
I totally enjoy the non-linear game-play and would have only wished there were more Pacific War missions but the African missions help tide me over.

Unfortunately, George ... you said not including the H&D series ... so ...

As far as WW2 shooters, Deadly Dozen 2 usually follows. I do not load it for the stock game-play but I load it for the numerous player-created mods and missions. As Jason has mentioned in another thread, this is an H&D clone, so the game-play is similar to H&D1 though I find it a bit more user and mod-friendly. As any game it has its highs and lows but it is a nice diversion. Aside from some of the obvious name changes Toughness (Endurance), Infiltration (Stealth & Lockpicking), Medicine (First Aid); instead of H&D's one stat for Shooting they broke it into various categories of weapons proficiency. Blades, Sidearms (which included Pistols & Carbines), Rifles, MGs, Sniping, Grenades, Explosives (includes Bazookas), Flamethrower. Strength wasn't a category but there was maximum recommended during load-out. You can carry more than your recommended but you will tire faster. For instance, if you ran carrying the flamethrower, the soldier will stop and pant as he tries to catch his breath. Laying explosives is free-flow like H&D (not placing it on a designated spot like H&D2) so the better the Soldier's explosives proficiency the better the result. In other words, he can do more damage with less explosives.

Since both H&D2 and DD2 are non-linear, I like the ability to try and accomplish the same mission using different tactics, approaches, weapon load-outs, etc. You don't feel like you are being funneled through as in the linear games.
Grimples wrote:I dont rate the likes of MoH, BIA, COD etc, they just dont have it!
I, too, am not a big fan of the linear games but admit I am looking forward to the next installment of BIA with Matt Baker if only to complete the storyline about the "death pistol."

MOH Pacific Assault had its unique missions but the game ends mid-war. The ending does mention the hard road ahead which left an opening for a possible follow-on; but a follow-on was never announced. [A follow-on was announced for the console version, MOH Rising Sun; but that follow-on was indeed cancelled].

I bought COD2 a few months ago, not for the stock game, but in order to play a mod based on the Spanish Civil War (SCW). It didn't hurt that there was a desert/North Africa campaign in COD2's stock game. Since it is based on the SCW, the rifles are all bolt-action which I know is your preference.

I tried COD World at War (aka COD5) due to Jason's positive remarks since it too had a Pacific campaign. It doesn't feel as linear as previous COD games. Played it, finished it, and removed it; but it may get a new lease on life on my HDD as an SCW mod is being created for it too.

Hope this helps your research George ... Duke thup01
Last edited by Duke0196 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:22 am

Oh yeah? "Historically Accurate Weapons" and then the inaccurate reloading of a bazooka. fingers01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 am

-ViTaMiHnM203- wrote:Oh yeah? "Historically Accurate Weapons" and then the inaccurate reloading of a bazooka.
Bit of a random thing to bring up Vit... but it looks real to me, he used his hands ;) tongue01 :mrgreen: (come on, that's pretty good for animation back then!). Don't go on yet another "historically accurate" bender, these are just pieces of entertainment not educational documentries. We play games for fun, we all watch docos for facts.

Duke0196
Captain

Unread post by Duke0196 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am

George, I needed to edit my post. As you already know English is not my first language. Reading my post a few hours later ... I can see how my English can be misunderstood. An occasion that I knew what I meant but it did not relate what I meant. Thank you ...Duke

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am

Jason wrote:We play games for fun, we all watch docos for facts.
Who is we? Even some documentaries have bad information, especially when they are going on first person accounts.

geosouv
Lieutenant

Unread post by geosouv » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Jason wrote:I think the first two Commandos games were the best the original and the expansion I mean. I couldn't get into Commandos 3 and haven't played the FPS yet.
Jason,

I agree with you on most accounts. Although I think Commandos 2 had better missions, bigger maps, improved gameplay, great graphics and a superb soundtrack. Commandos 3 was a mediocre game in many ways. It was too short in length, they had removed the hotkeys, which was very stupid and the graphics were horrible. Also its music was of lesser quality, although the composer was the same (Mateo Pascual). In fact I listen to the Commandos 2 soundtrack everyday :grin: . I have downloaded the playlist from youtube and converted it into mp3.

As for the FPS: Commandos Strike Force, it received mixed (and negative) reviews as you can see here.
I did play the demo and I found it to be a very problematic game. Definitely not worth your money.