GTA 4 query

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Grimples
Major

GTA 4 query

Unread post by Grimples » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 am

I was under the impression GTA4 was just a driving game but #2 son told me otherwise, so i went out & bought it! Put the CD in the tray the goddam game states it will install .netframework, some other game application & neverinamillionyears something to do with Sony, no way in hell am i installing all that shite so i immediately took out the CD. Question: Is there a way to install the game without all that, is the game worth compromising my PC, can you activate the game without an internet connection. I was looking forward to this too, seems to be a bit like Mafia1 FreeRide.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: GTA 4 query

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

There is a reason I don't have the game installed. I know you are afraid of older graphics, but GTA3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas are just as good. All very cheap at this point. Just try and get the first edition of GTA:SA or you will have to download a depatcher to play multiplayer mods.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Vit, will go try them but #2 son said they were crap so i did not bother looking for them, but he's only a kid (well! he's 26) so what does he know :grin:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Grimples wrote: Thanks Vit, will go try them but #2 son said they were crap so i did not bother looking for them, but he's only a kid (well! he's 26) so what does he know :grin:
I'm 26 :shock: didn't realise I was at an old folks home! :lol: ;)

Seriously though, I've heard people say GTA Vice City is the best, crap graphics now but that's what I've heard. GTA SA having the biggest and best map but "gangsta" missions or something. I don't know I've only played GTA1 & 2 and Mafia 1& 2.

I doubt the game uses Steam but it might, check the box. Not sure why it would want to install the dot net framework.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Yes, my favorite is Vice City. :mrgreen:

It needs .net because it needs to control you. "Games for Windows" is all about control. The launchers can't adequately control you with out it. So it refuses to run without it. :mrgreen:
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Would not give me a refund angry01 might install a full XP SP3 on another partition & then try to play the game on my err.. er.. hacked/stripped/bastardized XP SP1. I got another "3 for a tenner" (?10), GTA3, GTA SA & Battlefield 1042 anthology, not tried any yet though.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:36 am

I wouldn't, that would be Vista 0.5, just wait ill you get a new system with Win 7 on it.

Do you mean 2142? My team and I have been thinking of getting back into that game, let me know if you decide to fire it up. :mrgreen:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:31 am

Vista, Win7, me! never in a million years. Have tried W7 & i hated it with a vengance, too many extras & hidden files & folders & not being able to control my own PC, dam BG & MS to hell, they should be in bl00dy jail. I did have my XP SP3 working the way i want it too until i installed a HID keyboard & mouse, totally fkd my OS & have had to scrap it, took me months to tweak it, i took them back & got most of my money back. (they took ?10 per item, is that legal?)

oops! 1942. Has expansions packs "The Road to Rome" & "Secret Weapons of WII". Wasna aware of BF2042, i'll have a look at that later.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:09 pm

2142! :mrgreen:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 pm

I know GTA4 reqiures internet access at initial installation but does it always require internet access, like at start of game. Am gonna install W7 on another drive for games like this but am not gonna give it internet access.

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 am

Have you played GTA SA? They have an MP mod, I was playing all day. :mrgreen:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:13 am

Not yet, you reckon i should try them (GTA3 & GTA-SA) before jumping into GTA4. Am not really that keen on them because i do not want to play the game as a black man, no racism meant there, i just do not want to. If there's a choice to play a female character i always choose to play female.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I don't care who or what I play as normally :lol: I just bought GTA SA because of a Steam sale, dated graphics but I will give it a go. Not liking all the gangsta American bullshit... oh well, welcome to GTA3+ ey.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm

I think GTA3, GTA VC and GTA SA, are not required to play GTA4. I think you should play GTA SA, so maybe you can get the MP mod and we can play around in there sometime.

I liked GTA3, because it is modern and it is an amalgamation of where I am from, though the story is not as intriguing. GTA VC, has a good story and I like the time period.

GTA SA, sure you got to be a black guy, there are mods that make him white, but it is stupid story wise. In the MP mod you can be any skin from the game. I don't identify with or really like the culture depicted, but it is written well and the relationships are realistically depicted. It is fun to play though, just don't put yourself in the characters shoes. :mrgreen:

Grimples
Major

Unread post by Grimples » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 pm

OK Vit, all installed. Not tried it yet, whats yer server name. (not in the mood for TS, maybe later)

One shock so far, it dont allow the use of keypad5, wtf!