Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
LT. Drake Hawkins
Private

Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis

Unread post by LT. Drake Hawkins » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Operation Flashpoint 1.

Operation Flashpoint is an old tactical FPS game back from 2000, the game has one expansion pack: Resistance and one official add-on pack: Red hammer, the game basically focuces on a fictional conflict during 1985 between US NATO forces and the soviet union in 3 islands.

Characters: As you advance through a mighty campaign, you will play with different characters that are from a simple grunt to a tank commander, helicopter/plane pilot or spec ops soldier.

Weaponry: The range of weaponry availble in the game is pretty wide, M16-A2, HK MP5, AK-74, LAW's, RPG Nh-75... Also it has a realistic ballistic sistem, so when sniping someone at 300 meters you better learn that just aiming to the head is not that easy...

Vehicles: My favourite part, here in OFP you have a wide selection of vehicle ranging from land to air and sea, from a M1 Tank to a T-80, from an AH-1 Cobra to a MI-24 Hind...

Liberty of action: Execute missions your way, you think assaulting a town in a frontal assault will make you lose too much men? Try flanking, the game has a huge land mass to explore in every island, so you could play in the role of wide open warfare.

No health var: Here you better cover youself very good and learn to shoot fast, cos like in real life a few shots can kill you instantly and you coulnt even see where they came from...

The game itself is pretty good and tactical, ideal for those ones who like coop missions.
Here there are a few pictures of the game for you.

[img width=800 height=600]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4108/fifthpic.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9877/fourthpic.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/977/thirdpicm.jpg[/img]

PS: Sorry if they look too dark, I took them long time ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H3SKb4PLA
Sorry the guy speaking is zech but is one of the few videos I found the guy plays it in a clear version of the game... Now mods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL0QYoGLFqA
Last edited by LT. Drake Hawkins on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No sig yet...

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Re: Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Yep, I still have it installed on my system. My team used to play this religiously. :mrgreen: The screens are not dark at all.

Red Hammer was released before Resistance; you had to pay for Red Hammer, but that was really just for the Russian campaign, which was pretty well done. All other improvements, weapons, vehicles, etcetera, were all available with out paying for RH through a patch, almost like HD2 SS 1.12, so that they could sync multiplayer. Too bad this wasn't exactly the case for SS, as you can't have SS items in a server for non SS players to play on it.

Did you recently run through a bargain bin or something?  funny02
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:20 am

Operation Flashpoint is always on my "hrmmm, maybe later" list of games. Should I bother now? how does the gameplay compare to games like H&D, Deadly Dozen or GRAW/anything Tom Clancy?

The bargain bin is where I live for games, I wait until games get cheap... some times years and years funny01
Last edited by Jason on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

-ViTaMiHnM203-
SAS Soldier

Unread post by -ViTaMiHnM203- » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:22 am

There is a good OFP demo, it has multiplayer. I'd love to get some of my buddies together and baserape you! funny01 funny02

It feels like HD and HD2 combined. Almost the same mechanics of HD2 with the mission complexity of HD. It is always worth playing it... I just don't know if it will be your type of game.
Eight, 8, the burning eight; between Sunday and Monday exists a day so great, it will devastate. :twisted:

LT. Drake Hawkins
Private

Unread post by LT. Drake Hawkins » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Jason wrote: Operation Flashpoint is always on my "hrmmm, maybe later" list of games. Should I bother now? how does the gameplay compare to games like H&D, Deadly Dozen or GRAW/anything Tom Clancy?

The bargain bin is where I live for games, I wait until games get cheap... some times years and years funny01
For ten dollars you can get the original Game of the year edition in most places like E-bay for example or visit CodeM or Bohemia interactive to see prices...
You can bother if you have some small patience, either you might not like the game completely clear... You can search in many places for easy intalling mods, give it a try when you can, the game worths it, and well it might not be like anything of Tom Clancy or H&D, but is for sure that the game worths a good try dude. :)
No sig yet...

I-One
Private

Unread post by I-One » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Operation Flashpoint is a very good game. So far it is my favorite game of all time. The mission editor is extremely easy to use, even as a 12 year old I was pretty good at it, you basically just drag and drop things wherever you want on a map. Anyway the game area is huge and freeform unlike H&D, multiplayer is good too, just about everything about the game is good if you are into this type of game. Thats why it won Computer Gaming World Game of the Year. I've been playing it since around the time it came out and I still am not bored by it, it has immense replay value.