Airborne

Feel free to talk about any old, new or other than World War 2 games here.
Jason
Administrator

Airborne

Unread post by Jason » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:50 am

If you guys are looking for a good world war 2 game that is cheap but looks great then head over to steam and pick up Airborne.

I just played the single player demo, then had to buy it. Just beat the first level and going through the second and already it has impressed me considering I wasn't expecting much from this series of games.

The graphics are great, it runs very well and I have a pretty old graphics card. The weapons are good, from your standard weapons being the mp40, thompson etc. to the not so used ones the G43 and shotgun :mrgreen:

Yes, Medal of Honor Airborne is a fucking good game and if you don't check it out just because it's a MOH game then you are missing out. I never thought I would play a Medal of Honor game since the Playstation original but this game deserves some credit... so far thup01, you can checkout the demo here or buy it for $10 on steam.

grin01
A new day, a new beginning

Fixing H&D2 Multiplayer tutorial

Sergeant

Re: Airborne

Unread post by 2k » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 am

yeah, play it, when demo just came out, and then full game. Very like it. Especialy the sounds.  thup01

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 pm

2k wrote: yeah, play it, when demo just came out, and then full game. Very like it. Especialy the sounds.  thup01
Yeah I forgot to mention that, the sounds are excellent. Seriously, how often do you notice that a game sounds brilliant? like never but this game just done something unique with the sounds. I really didn't get the full feel for the game until buying the full version, the sounds are great in the second mission.

To be honest the demo pissed me off a bit :oops: took a bit to get use to the weapons. They felt so huge when I first played it but quickly got use to it, the game overall had like a 15-30 minute getting use to period for me because it felt different to other games. For those that don't know the weapons get upgraded as time goes by. Your thompson starts off normal but soon becomes enhanced with recoil upgrades and a bigger magazine. There is a quick reload upgrade for the mp40 everyone has to checkout.

The missions are well designed, I like the non-linear designs, definitely a nice change from the COD (and others) mission style.

Here are some screens from mission 2, it reminded my of Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Arch for some reason:

Play it!
Last edited by Jason on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Played it an hated it .. might be cause my graficcard was to slow .. but the gameplay was not my type of gaming .. oh and only played the sp ..

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Must have been something you liked about it Lars?

I just beat the game, that was really short. 6 Missions, what the fuck? glad I didn't pay the release price for it. It's worth $20 I would say but yeah, get it now for $10 on steam :mrgreen: The last mission was interesting. I had no idea that Flak Towers existed :shock: have you seen any up close Lars? scary looking buildings, that's for sure!

Lars
Commando

Unread post by Lars » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Well I haven't paied for any games since 2001  fingers01 So I am not worried about any money .. but yep its damn short and in that fact it stole me 5h of my lifetime lol
Yeah I have here one Flakktower pretty near to me at Gesundbrunnen http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... 1101192310 Still lots of these crap buildings arround here .. guess we never gonna rid of them  :mrgreen:

Capt. Stirling
Lieutenant

Unread post by Capt. Stirling » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:43 am

I've always loved MOH. Underground and Allied Assault are my favorites and I have so many memories of the series from when I picked up the first one in '99. I have seen how it has recently been whored out by EA in order to milk the title after Rising Sun and was looking forward to Airborne.

I was disppointed. The parachute technique was fun but limited. I hated the weapon upgrades and saw the cheesiness that the game was in direct competition with  modern FPS games. The graphics were excellent and the sound FX are the some of these best I have ever encountered. I really loved the atmosphere of the first level. The Italian soldiers, the old radio playing while fighting through the mayor's villa, paratroopers dropping all over the place, etc reminded me of old MoH. But after that level, I was blown away by how arcade like the game became.

I really enjoyed the first mission for several reasons but after that I'm a bit lost. The Paestum level modeled after the Salerno landings is a joke for historical accuracy and so is the D-Day drop. In fact the whole game aside from the first mission to Sicily is complete bollocks historically.

I didn't like how the enemies were categorized into types like Wolfenstein style instead of having a variety of enemy soldier that appear throughout the game. The Uber soldiers at the end reminded me of Wolfentein meets Spear of Destiny.  That said I did enjoy the Flak tower level after my disappointment that MOH has been totally reamed of its integrity.

I was looking for a cinematic experience with a little taste of the open world idea that I love H&D for.

The fact that the 10 year old H&D series are still my favorite games is proof that modern graphics don't have much over atmospher and top notch creative gameplay.
They Dared and Won..... And They Were Hidden and Dangerous.
1941-1945