Game launches with console instead of the actual game.

Experiencing a technical issue or bug with Hidden & Dangerous 2, discuss it here and ask for help.
MrDraco999
Private

Game launches with console instead of the actual game.

Unread post by MrDraco999 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello community. This is going to be the first time I've ever made a forum post, but maybe that'll say something about how much I wanna play this game. I bought Hidden and Dangerous 2 on GoG after hearing praise to high heaven for the game. I'm a huge fan of Arma and just super tactical games in general, so when I heard about this, I started to look where ever I could for info about it. It looks incredible, so I buy it from Good Ol' Games, and install it, but then I have no idea how to launch it. I have no idea if its an installation issue, maybe a file is missing, but whenever I click the .exe's for both the base game and sabre, it launches a console? Instead of there being a game it launches a small tan console that I believe is meant for multiplayer servers. For the life of me I have no idea what to do to stop this. I've tried DL'ing it from the GoG Galaxy client but that actually gives me a disk access error, which I haven't been able to fix either, despite spending the entire day to fix it. Doesn't happen to any of my other games when I install them, its just H&D2. It's pissing me off because I really want to play this game. It looks truly incredible but its just not letting me launch it. Anyone able to give me assistance? I'd super duper ultra appreciate it.

System specs are :
Processor - AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
Ram - 11 gigs
OS - Win 10 64bit
Graphix - Radeon RX 480

If you need more info please ask. I really want to play this game because it seems like a blast to play. Any help will be appreciated.

PS. I've tried just about every fix the forums will give me for the Disk Access Error. Reinstall, Direct Play Shenannigans, UAC, Admin Rights, Security Allowances, the works. Effin' thing refuses to work.

jacobston
Lieutenant

Re: Game launches with console instead of the actual game.

Unread post by jacobston » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:53 am

Hey, and welcome to the forum and to Hidden and Dangerous!

Make sure you are running the proper .exe from the game folder - if you have Sabre Squadron installed you should have a few different ones to choose, HD2_SabreSquadron.exe is the one you want, and will launch the game with the Sabre Squadron expansion pack. If you are running HD2DS, it will launch a dedicated server without launching the game, which seems to be what you are describing.

One more thing, if the game continues to fail to launch, it may help to run setup.exe, save and exit, then try launching the game again. It should do this on its own, but if it doesn't this is the workaround.

Hope this helps!

MrDraco999
Private

Unread post by MrDraco999 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 am

jacobston wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:53 am
Hey, and welcome to the forum and to Hidden and Dangerous!

Make sure you are running the proper .exe from the game folder - if you have Sabre Squadron installed you should have a few different ones to choose, HD2_SabreSquadron.exe is the one you want, and will launch the game with the Sabre Squadron expansion pack. If you are running HD2DS, it will launch a dedicated server without launching the game, which seems to be what you are describing.

One more thing, if the game continues to fail to launch, it may help to run setup.exe, save and exit, then try launching the game again. It should do this on its own, but if it doesn't this is the workaround.

Hope this helps!
Sorry to say but neither of the .exes work. They both just launch the console. I had already used the setup program but with no dice. I have no idea whats wrong with it. It doesn't even change the console. Its just the same thing that launches, that cursed console.

Stern
Lieutenant

Unread post by Stern » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:52 am

I had similar problem one time after applying the 1.12 patch.
exe files that are needed to start game were in the wrong place.
Try to use search over your all hard drives and look for Hd2.exe or HD2_SabreSquadron.exe.
If that does'nt help, try re-install and maybe to different location.

And check if the game has correct entry in registry (regedit.exe):
32bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Illusion Softworks\Hidden & Dangerous 2
64bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Illusion Softworks\Hidden & Dangerous 2
From there: "idir" should have correct location for the game folder (idir means: Install Directory).
Click Here !

MrDraco999
Private

Unread post by MrDraco999 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:44 am

Hey guys! So, I actually figured out what was happening and managed to fix it with the assistance of the GOG support team. I'm posting to let others know what was wrong so if they have it happen to them, they can fix it. Basically, as I was looking around, I found an installation of an antivirus program I thought I had uninstalled long ago. Turns out, I didn't, and it was still working. I totally passed over it in my search. Every time I tried to do an install from GOG, the secondary antivirus blocked the .exe files for launching the actual game. The ones I was trying to launch were literally the multiplayer console, and thats why it launched the console.

The reason I didn't see that was that the .exe's for the console and .exe's for the actual game look exactly alike in both name and icon. Only thing differentiating them is 'DS' at the end, e.g. H&D2.exe vs. H&D2DS.exe and H&D2_SabreSquadron.exe vs. H&D2DS_SabreSquadron.exe.

As a new player, I had no idea that these were console files, nor did I know if there was any other file to see. I had just assumed sir jacobston up there (And thank you very much for the help guys, I appreciate it.) meant the files that were in there with the DS because it was the only thing in there.

So, there it is and thank you guys so much for the assistance. I'm glad to see that a community is so willing to help each other and still active! I can finally enjoy this incredible game!

jacobston
Lieutenant

Unread post by jacobston » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey, I'm glad you figured it out, and thanks for updating with the solution!

Hope you enjoy the game, and maybe we'll see you playing online as well thup01