Patch Suggestions for h&d2 and SS (and hd1, mafia, vc1 & 2)

This is for general discussion about Hidden & Dangerous 2, talk about what you liked or what you didn't like about the sequel. Talk about multiplayer games, setup matches etc.
Daniel
Lieutenant

Patch Suggestions for h&d2 and SS (and hd1, mafia, vc1 & 2)

Unread post by Daniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 am

Okay so i have the double pack from years ago - i think it's called courage under fire. Thankfully this contains the original release with individual patches, so you can choose the version you play.
I played it years ago up to partway through the mosque mission in africa.

However i was playing that patched versions and then i realised a lot of things were actually removed / taken out. For example, easter eggs were all removed and certain gameplay features.
This was important to be patched in order to play online.

I don't really care about online anymore as it was kind of "run and gun with the mp44" crap anyway - especially when almost all popular servers allowed 3rd person view which RUINS any stealth.

So, back on topic:
Does anyone know what the different patches do and the pros and cons of each one?

For example, which versions of H&D2 and Sabre Squadron would someone recommend for me to play once i eventually restart playing them again? And how do they compare?

Oh and the same question for the original H&D and FFF - i have both of those boxed and obviously also the free deluxe dl too (but the deluxe version seems a lot worse). For those though i guess i need to install windows 98 or ME cos on XP the mission after you escape the concentration camp is rather unplayable - the enemy fire goes crazy fast and seems broken.

Also i bought vietcong purple haze and vietcong 2 recently, which i gather are similar to h&d, so the question applies to them too :$

I guess the same applies for mafia 1 too!

Also does anyone know about the game that illusion only released in eastern europe that had places set in ireland and even appears to be in english? Is that playable for an english speaker or is it card because it's all in czech or where-ever they released it? I know they are a czech developer but for some reason i seem to think it got a polish release.

I'm glad to see this site is still going after all these years, so i thought this was the best kind of "illusion softworks" home and place to get answers.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks if you answer :)

jacobston
Lieutenant

Re: Patch Suggestions for h&d2 and SS (and hd1, mafia, vc1 &

Unread post by jacobston » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:00 am

The biggest changes are between vanilla HD2 and Sabre Squadron. When you install Sabre Squadron, the Easter Eggs are disabled, you cannot climb on top of vehicles, as well as a few changes to weapons. On the other hand, SS gives you the ability to hold your breath while aiming a scope, enables coop in multiplayer and fixes more bugs.

If you do wish to play online, look at the links below
http://www.rprclan.com/wiki/index.php?title=Server_List
http://www.rprclan.com/index.php/2014-0 ... 07/servers

I am afraid I can't help much with H&D original, or either of the Vietcong games, sorry no_01

Mafia 1, however, I know works on windows XP and Windows 8 perfectly. I have run it on both systems and found no bugs.

Do you mean Chameleon? I don't think it was the same people making it, but it uses the same engine as HD2 and Mafia. I don't know much about it, as I've never played it either, but I did find some links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_ ... ideo_game)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/chameleon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9_auHgN7tc

Daniel
Lieutenant

Unread post by Daniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.
jacobston wrote:The biggest changes are between vanilla HD2 and Sabre Squadron. When you install Sabre Squadron, the Easter Eggs are disabled, you cannot climb on top of vehicles, as well as a few changes to weapons. On the other hand, SS gives you the ability to hold your breath while aiming a scope, enables coop in multiplayer and fixes more bugs.
Yer i meant more content changes really. What kind of things were changed with the weapons?
And which version would you recommend playing? Are there additions in the patches that outweigh the cons of losing easter eggs and anything else that might be interesting?

I only really care about the singleplayer atm really. (Also, it's a shame the co-op in h&d2 is so much worse than in the original). Thanks for the invite for multi-player. Kind of got burnt out on it years ago but might try once i've done the singleplayer. It feels a lot more of an arcadey experience than the main game though.
jacobston wrote:Mafia 1, however, I know works on windows XP and Windows 8 perfectly. I have run it on both systems and found no bugs.
Hmm i meant more content wise really. I know they made the race section a lot easier but i just wonder what else there was. Basically are there additions in the patches that outweigh the better race in the original?
jacobston wrote:Do you mean Chameleon? I don't think it was the same people making it, but it uses the same engine as HD2 and Mafia.
Yer this is it! I've read it was made by people who used to be part of illusion or at least some kind of offshoot studio, a bit like Vietcong was. Not really sure. Looks interesting though!

Anyone else with any info is welcome too :) I know Jason is an expert hahaha.

Jason
Administrator

Unread post by Jason » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:09 pm

You can find all the patch read mes on the website: http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/hd2 ... hp#patches

Patch 1.02
Patch 1.03
Patch 1.04
Patch 1.05
Patch 1.06
Patch 1.12

Basically, patch up to 1.06 for plain old H&D2 for the best SP experience. There are pros and cons but the easter eggs are still in 1.06 from memory!