Fatal Error msg in Devil's Bridge

This section is for all Hidden & Dangerous talk including mission strategies, setting up multiplayer games and technical support. All discussions for Fight for Freedom/Devil's Bridge go here too!
CurseofNight86
Private

Fatal Error msg in Devil's Bridge

Unread post by CurseofNight86 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 am

Hello, I recently bought an old Dell 450 with Win XP(Service Pack 3, I think) from a friend to play some older games that don't run well on modern PCs(particularly games that are pre-steam...that I don't have to go through steam to install...when I should be able to install from the freaking CD!!!)The main games I wanted to play where H&D and the expansion Devil's Bridge.

Anyway, I'm getting an error msg in Devil's Bridge that reads: "Fatal Error - ProcessVertices: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS 0x80070057"

After the msg the game crashes and sends me back to my desktop. I was able to complete one mission by re-equipping my team and restarting the mission only to receive the same msg and crash at the start of the next.

I'm only getting this msg + crash in DB and not the base game itself. If anyone knows whats causing this msg, what it means, or how to fix it I'd certainly appreciate it.

Oh, and if more info on my sys specs(or anything else) are needed I can post them later. I don't know them off the top of my head.

CurseofNight86
Private

Re: Fatal Error msg in Devil's Bridge

Unread post by CurseofNight86 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Nevermind. I figured out a work-around through a combination of restarting the mission/re-launching the game and was able to beat the game!

I was on the first mission of the third campaign when I first encountered it. Beat that mission then ran into it again on the next, then came here. After I loaded my game back up it didn't happen again.

It was my first play-through of Devil's Bridge(my dad's PC could only the original game back in the day - not the expansion - when I brought it a million years ago). So I'm pretty stoked at finally being able to complete it!

To be honest though, I def perfer the original game. Better music, more interesting/memorable soldiers, and atmosphere...ambiance...? I don't know it felt different somehow.

The missions themselves were great though. And whoever came up with the idea of the armored jeep is a genius! Really fun to use and completely changed the way I would have normally approached certain situations.

I'm still curious about that error msg though.... If anyone has an answer, I'd certainly be interested.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 pm

in my case i was able to play H&D Classic and DB on every newer windows version when i used the -safe command line. But i never had this fatal error.

But nice idea to have such an old computer thup01
i also still have one with windows 98 funny02

CurseofNight86
Private

Unread post by CurseofNight86 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 am

I'm thinking about installing Win 95 or preferably Win 98 on another HD. The PC I brought has a second disk that I'm not using(Accidentally formatted it... Oops, lol). I'd like to play Duke Nukem 3D and Doom/Quake without DOS-BOX...

Its working out pretty well having a old OS + PC set up specifically for old games so far. The best part is I'm finally learning how to swap graphics/sound cards/hard drives, etc. I was always to afraid to mess around with stuff like that on my other PCs because I was worried I might mess something up. But since this PC is so old everything on it is cheap so I'm not worried about that stuff now.

Just downloaded H&D: Deluxe and played it for the first time last night.... WoW! :shock:
Having just come straight from the Oringinal, the graphics where much better than I was expecting. Not great compared to contemporary games nowadays - but certainly impressive none-the-least.

I'm about to download the Mod tools + plugins(hope they still work for gmax). I wanna make(or at least try to make) a couple H&D: Deluxe maps for my brothers and a friend of ours to play on. If it all works out maybe I can post it here for other people to mock, :p

I have some exp modding and mapping in Half-Life 1 & 2.... and also mapping in Build for Duke Nukem 3D, and the level editor for Doom/Doom 2, lol.

NilsZ
Major

Unread post by NilsZ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:34 pm

H&D Deluxe Editor is very easy and handy to use. I recommend you to learn all the hotkeys and disable the camera collisions (Shift + F7).

if you want to make new skins for other i3d models, just take an hex editor and change the name of the .PNG file. so you won't need 3DS max.
Also remember that you need Winrar 3.00 to pack the addons. thup01

When you have some addons, share them :)

CurseofNight86
Private

Unread post by CurseofNight86 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks for the tips. Glad I don't need 3ds Max for that. I thought I had an old(but legit) copy of Max 3.1 saved to a back-up cd but the folder was empty.

But its kool, I believe(hope) I have everything I need to get started. I took a quick look at the editor but I won't have a chance to really dive into the tutorials until next weekend. If I have any questions or probs. I'll post in the editing section.

Although, I had to go to majorgeeks.com to get H&D Deluxe. For some reason none of the links for it on this site worked for me. The other links for the hex editor, the add-on missions, the models, etc. worked fine, just not the link for the main Deluxe download.